02 Pontiac grand prix

Asked by Oct 09, 2012 at 11:13 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

I have an 02 grand prix..my key stays stuck in the ignition is there an easy to fix this problem? Also my shifter is
broke I have to use a small screwdriver to push in the shift release button to move the shifter..is this a common
problem with Pontiac grandprix's??? Help its getting annoying

165

I have an 03 with the same key problem. You have to put it in park, and shut the key off, and then pull on the steering wheel one way or the other until it locks, and then pull it further, until it stops you, and then you should be able to turn the key and pull it out. Good luck!

3,825

A similar problem with mine. I discovered there is some up and down play in the shift lever. If it is pulled up it won't release the key, if I push the shift lever down to where it is supposed to be everything works fine. I haven't had a chance to investigate further to find out why I have the loose shifter. A year ago I was also having this problem. My mechanic found a wire at the base of the steering column had broken internally and was affecting some solenoid that releases the key. He said its a common problem and there is a GM service bulletin on the subject if you have access to that sort of information.

Best Answer

Thanx guys =)

10

wedged part of ink pen into the hole on lower right side of steering column where the manual key release is positioned. I snapped off a part of pen in there and replaced the plug. haven't had problem since. key goes in and comes out with no probs at all....good luck. quick and and cheap fix.

90

Pull off shifter cover on center console to find a purple wire broken. Repair and reroute wires and all should be good.