i noticed that my reservoir for coolant was bone dry. Can anyone tell me what kind of coolant to use?

Asked by Jul 08, 2015 at 09:55 AM about the 2003 Lexus ES 300 FWD

I had the radiator replaced about a month ago ...not a lexus dealership. too expensive. But
now I'm hearing some starting up issues...and when I thought it might be the
battery...replaced in 2012...I noticed I had no coolant in the reservoir. Could that be the
issue?

24,415

So you want a Lexus but now you complain that it is too expensive to maintain?! Good luck with that-

wow...I hope you have a better day than you're having right now. Thanks for the kind words.

20,790

Yes that could cause that problem as far as what kind of anti freeze check with your local parts store they should be able to tell you what kind your vehicle takes.

20,790

But also check the battery connections making sure they are clean and tight.

58,015

If the coolant reservoir is empty, but the radiator was still full it will not cause any issues. It is likely that some air was trapped in the system after the radiator replacement and this air escaped and coolant took its place. This would make the coolant reservoir low or even empty. I would refer to the owner's manual on the recommended coolant and use that provided that is what was used during the radiator replacement.

thank you guys! I appreciate your help!

24,415

Your gentle response to my mean post humbled me- I apologize- now, if your radiator was replaced a month ago, you should take it back to the mechanic who did the work and have him recheck the work- the empty reservoir should NOT be empty- and it may or may not be the result of shoddy work- when a repair is done on a car, it is a good idea to take it back anyway just for a checkup- even the best mechanics can leave something loose or something can come loose- and your engine's cooling system is not something to speculate about, online or otherwise- you could blow up that expensive engine- give the mechanic a chance to see if something went wrong, and if it seems like sketchy work for any reason, find a better mechanic- one who is qualified to work on expensive machinery-

no worries... it's all good. Thank you for your suggestions.