i have bought a 2001 Lexus ES 300, 189000 miles on it for 3200$ from a dealer. (yesterday). Is is good deal or bad? is it worth it??..

Asked by Apr 12, 2015 at 03:43 PM about the 2001 Lexus ES 300 Base

I tested the car and felt it was running good and clean exteriors and interiors with full
leather seats, no scratches. but the car vibrates when i stop near signals, while
running it doesnt .Car dealer used Sean foam and said it wont vibrate ,  but then next
day it again vibrates . It also shows check engine and trac off signs, when i i asked
he said he is gonna put some sensor for that , and it wont show up , not a issue , how
to deal with this, as i have very less knowledge about cars

20

sounds like maybe it needs a tuneup if nothing came up on the scan, also a oil change wont hurt

150

I have a Lexus and have had the CEL with trac off light come on twice. Once bc of a bad O2 and the other for a miss fire/bad ignitor. As I understand it, the trac off is tiggered any time the CEL is illuminated. There is no one reason. You need to know what the code is before throwing money at a fix. Any auto parts store will pull them for free. It takes 3 min. A better idea is to purchase a OBD ll scanner. They are less than $100 and you can find the code interpretation online. Most codes are universal for car makers. Money well spent for me. When the CEL is triggered the car runs a default "safe" program to minimize potential failure. Most times if you don't notice a change in driving it is a sensor. If you do notice a change in performance it could be more of a mechanical issue. Also, most sensors can be changed with minimal tools and a lot of patience.

My 2000 ES300 with 120K miles would start and seem to run OK, but at times would vibrate at stop signs while idling, and when rapid acceleration called for no power. Codes showed rear O2 sensor. Warning, there are THREE O2 sensors on the 2000 ES 300. Two front (one on front bank and one on rear bank of engine.The third which shows up as "rear" O2 sensor is on the front catalytic converter which is accessible after pulling the console. Fun, fun. Turns out my front Catalytic converter was badly clogged. I always ran premium fuel, so surprised. My model, purchased from the Pleasanton, CA Lexus dealership, it turns out, was not a CA approved smog system, but an unusual FEDERAL approved smog system, which meant the front catalytic converter was part of the rear bank exhaust manifold rather than a bolt on. Long story short, the FED system is dealer only, so if you need to replace front Catalytic converter as I did with the FED approved system, ADD $700+ to whatever quote you get for the factory only exhaust manifold / catalytic replacement. Seems like the front Catalytic was special order and ran about $900. In any case it was $700 MORE than OEM. And having the car down for 4 days after shop sending photos to Lexus before someone on that end could figure out how to order right parts.