My son's '99 ES300 started missing so we replaced ignition coil in cyl #6. It was previously replaced in Aug 2011. Now the car isn't shifting into overdrive. What could be the possible problems?

50

Asked by Oct 13, 2013 at 05:58 PM about the 1999 Lexus ES 300 Base

Car startd missing and running roughly but still shifted into O/D (note:  shifter button is not turned.  He drove the 30 miles home and it quit shifting.   replaced the faulty ign coil and it is running smoothly now but will not shift.   Any "easy/quick" cks for me?  I've looked at all vacuum lines and fortunately didn't have to replace ig coils on `1,3 or 5.

I'd check the age of the battery 2006 is too old...the chassis ground is not realizing the power of the battery....clean the connection from the battery to the chassis ground disassemble and clean with a coarse wirebrush~

50

Not sure I understand? Car is starting and running smoothly just not shifting into O/D. A new battery was installed about 2 weeks ago an dthis is a 1999 vintage and we've had since 2006 so have replaced numerous times - appreciate the reply though.

...well this is kinda complicated....but ECU's do not like varying voltages and available amperages for which to function properly....if issued an undervoltage condition as what may happen when the MAIN ground gets corrosion (happens every start) with dis-similar materials eventually causes corrosion that you really cannot see but on a microscopic level~ a wirebrush will fix it~

you may have a defective solenoid...test your overdrive solenoid and fuse~

Best Answer
50

Thanks for that. I'm a shade-tree mechanic so how do I locate that selenoid/fuse (possibly in owners manual?) How do I test? Should i just replace?

having a bit of a tussle trying to find an image of the solenoid...here's a wiring diagram---will see if I can find a location and/or picture for you....comin' up empty on a OD fuse...looks like the ECM is responsible...have to investigate further~

okay...this is starting to get really confusing...the OD is part of the D selector~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gkmDDV0C8

solenoid kit, comes with installation instructions... http://www.rostratransmission.com/transmission-solenoids-by-rostra-transmission.php

thanks H25...there IS a santaclaus~

Wally, When my 2000 would not shift it turned out to be my knock sensor. Located under the manifold it was a 6 hour job for me. By the way Lexus Es300 has two, change them both out if you find it be the cause. Even though it would reset by disconnecting the ground from the battery it would also come back.. Might be one day could be a week, but it came back. I found them for 62.00 in Wisconsin but I don't remember the name of the supply house name. Wglashagel@aol.com Good Luck