When I drive my 1994 TBird for awhile and stop it does not want to go in reverse . Till it seems to want to cool down any suggestions

Asked by Jul 11, 2014 at 03:39 PM about the 1994 Ford Thunderbird LX

My 1994 Ford TBird has some miles on her . Great car . But now when I drive it for awhile and gets warmed up from driving and you stop and turn car off it does not always want to go in reverse . Its like you have to let it cool off then will go in reverse . any suggestions as what to do ?  Car has over 120,000 miles . Frank ; Also has V8 Engine

120000 miles is no big deal. I have seen 10 year old Birds with 200-250000 miles and they still run fine. What is a big deal is have you done any of the recommended services that Ford tells you to do in the owners book? Has the tranny oil been changed? Is there a linkage problem? When did this start and was it instant or did it gradually get worse? Need more info.

Mark : Yes I am old mechanic . I have owned this car from new . I have changed the trany oil religiously like suppose to & filter . I have not checked the linkage yet . This came on kind of sudden and does it only after you drive it a while , not every time ok . Frank :

Since it happened quite fast, the linkage is the only thing that comes to mind right now but even that seems like a distant chance. good luck.