My gas pedal stops working, I have to pull over till it kicks in....

Asked by Jun 05, 2013 at 04:33 PM about the 1996 Ford Thunderbird

I have a 96'. When I'm driving, all the sudden the gas pedal stops working and I have to pull over till it kicks in .I also have to let the car run for bit before I can leave or else the car just wont move

269,795

Check your accelerator cable at the throttle body, it's probably binding up. A good cleaning and lube with get it working good as new.

Best Answer Mark helpful
26,625

Are you saying that the transmission won't engage? The engine just revs up but the car won't go anywhere? Your statement about letting it run a bit before you can leave or it just wont move sounds like a transmission whose seals are long worn out. They get hard over time and won't apply pressure properly until things warm us and the seals get a little more pliable. You might consider having a shop look at it. It should cost no more than 1 hour's labor and you are not obligated to fix it if you don't want to.

Thank you for the replies, these are great! "Are you saying that the transmission won't engage?" It's something like that, it doesn't catch is the best way I can explain it...and than eventually I press on the gas pedal and you can feel that the pedal has power again. I'm taking it to a place this afternoon, so we will see. Hopefully I make it there and it doesn't decide it's done on me. Its rainy outside, it would be just my luck!! LOL!! A friend of mine thinks I might just need transmission fluid, so gonna try that quick before take to garage. Thanks again for the great answers, this is an awesome webpage!!!