Death during reconstruction of classic car.

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 02:35 PM about the Pontiac GTO

My husband died while he was restoring his 1963 Pontiac Le Mans GTO.  The chassis is
off of the frame and the engine is in pieces.  I need to value the car for the attorneys.  How
do I do this.  None of the sites I have visited go back to 1963 or let me choose mid-
reconstruction.  please respond to rrhauke@q.com if the answer is too lengthy for this
forum. Help please the attorney is getting impatient.  Thank you, Rose

Sincere Condolences on your loss of your Husband. This is a tough one, it depends on 'engine in pieces' are the parts new? Do you have a pile of old greasy engine parts or lots of new stuff ready to assemble? What I can do is get in touch with a couple buddies of mine that do what he was in the process of and ask them..these guys build cars from the ground up, sell them, than start another. It will take maybe a day to put together what I can, but I have your email and I will give it my best effort. But I do need to know the above...old parts or new? I will get back to you within a day.

246,905

Hmm 1964 was the first year to use the GTO trim, not 1963. Are you sure about the year of the car? This will dramatically effect the cost.

You know Tom I was not sure but I thought the same thing....LeMans yes but GTO....and how are we supposed to be of any help if she wont answer? This one is listed at $400 engine blown and no bids offered. I think it has very little value, unless like I was asking are there a lot of brand new parts ready to assemble? If not it is nearly worthless as basket case

I will have to look at the title, but I do know that it was the first year, with the headlights vertical, not horizontal. He did a lot of research and was buying the NOS parts he could find for the engine.The parts he could not find he was cleaning and repairing. He made an effort to restore to original, he did not want flashy but more tworts original. Once again I am looking for value, I don't have any plans to sell at this time.

I will get pictures of the cassie and from today if that would be helpful. As for the engine, there are some parts here at the house and some at the garage where it is housed.

The 1964 Gto had horizontal headlights, That picture is a 1963 LeMans

246,905

First year of vertical headlights on a GTO are 1965

22,725

love the '64 GTO- first year and valuable now- but whatever you have in the garage, a bunch of old or even some new parts, disassembled, is only worth the value of the individual parts- it's not a car anymore- and it is extremely difficult to put a car back together if you are not the one who took it apart- I might attempt it on a Bugatti- value, $2500

4,965

Sounds like a '65 but value would probably not exceed $500 assuming you could attract someone to come and scrape all the parts together. It may be worth more to just sell off parts to the restoration community. Ebay is always full of stuff like this and the sum of the parts adds up to more than the whole car in most cases. Good luck!