Changing a NON AC car to an AC car

Asked by May 01, 2014 at 10:56 PM about the 1968 Pontiac GTO

I am rebuilding my dad's (RIP) 1968 GTO, with a 400. I am in the Phoenix, AZ area and need AC here. My dad ordered the car in '67 when we lived in NY, didn't need AC there. If any one can tell me what the GM part #s are for the 2 V groove crank pulley and the AC crank pulley, I would greatly appreciate it. Was the water pump pulley different on a non AC car verses an AC car ? If so, I need to know what the AC pulley GM part # is. Thanks, Bill

4,645

Nice car! You're going to be scouring Ebay for months. You need a single AC crank pulley, and that's available all over. But you won't find the AC 2 groove crank pulley to go with it. The water pump pulley you have will work.... but you should go to the smaller diameter. Again... you'll be scouring Ebay. Can I make a suggestion that will save you a ton of money and work? Go with a Vintage Air system. I have retrofitted a 66 and 67 GTO with factory air and it is NOT a back-yard job. You'll need to change a section of the firewall, find the correct inside and outside air boxes, dash controls, ductwork, bezels, wiring, etc etc. You can do a 'hybrid' where you install the interior vents to look factory, but even that is a ton of work. I don't have my parts book with me at the moment, I will grab it this weekend. If you haven't done so yet get yourself a copy of Paul Zazzarine's Restoration Guide, and you can get the GM shop and chassis manuals on CD.