window won't roll up

Matt_435
0

Asked by Jan 19, 2013 at 02:41 PM about the Buick Riviera

Yesterday my driver window rolled down like normal, but wouldn't come back up. The switch makes a clicking sound when pushed for window down, but not up. Is there a way to manually get my window up until I have the $ to replace the motor or switch? Or is there a more simple fix?

You are going to have to pop the door panel off to get it up, Or give it some Viagra. Unless there is enough glass sticking up you can grasp it with your hands, do not put pliers on it. the glass will break. If you can grasp it, wiggle it back and forth and pull up, it might come up, but then it may not stay Buy some clips before you pop the panel.

85,975

If it's a bad switch, you can electrically disconnect the switch and jumper out the contacts. The switch reverses the polarity to the motor. You can also check the continuity of the switch while you have it out.

Jason Zane
6,035

what year?? if it is like my 1989 with the switches on the center column, take off the shifter plastic frame(use a plastic scraper to pry). next take off the window switch assembly(4 screws upside-down.) one could be hard to get to. after removing the assembly, the plastic piece that pushes down on the switch wears out. try using epoxy or something to make it stickout. the piece got hammered in flat.

Nicholas Cartella
0

I once had a 97 Taurus and all you had to do was push the up button on the window control & kick about 16' below the lock / 12' above the red reflector at the same time. It sounds crazy but, it worked. Please give it a shot and let me know!

Lark07
0

I had the same issue on my ten year old taurus, banging the door in the manner Nich suggested worked wonderfully! Who knew?! Thanks!!

Anarchy32
125

I have the same issue with the driver side window on my 95 Riviera. The window went down but now it wont go up. When I would try to put the window up, there would be a clicking sound(which came from the control module). The control module is located in the upper right part of the driver side door behind the metal part of the door. All you will see is a little cream/yellowish colored plastic hook sticking out. Push the hook in and the control module will come out. The issue originally started about 3 months ago. When it first happened I thought it was the window motor, so I replaced it with a new one. Problem was still there. So then I pulled out the control module and tapped it all over with the handle end of a screw driver and my window started to work and go up again. Then two days ago the same thing happened again and my window is stuck down. So I pulled the control module out again and tapped it. Only this time it didn't work. I found out that the control module is a discontinued part and can pretty much only get it from a salvage yard. So I picked up one today and put it on, still didn't work. So now I'm stuck. Not sure where to go from here. Is the used switch I bought today also bad? Is there something else wrong that I'm not seeing?