1965 riviera won't crank

Asked by Jan 26, 2016 at 12:13 PM about the 1965 Buick Riviera

I have a 65 Riviera 401 that when cold sometimes won't crank when turning the key. Also, same problem after the engine is warm and sometimes have to let it sit for an hour before it will turn over. I also have a problem that the engine doesn't fire on all 8 and no mechanic to date has resolved this.

530

If your saying the starter motor won't crank? Have to check starter wiring circuits when problem is ongoing. I don't know if I could find wiring diagram for this model year? Usually two voltage circuits at the starter, one is battery voltage, comes from the battery, hot all the time, the other circuit goes hot with the key in the crank position. The starter should ground through the engine block. GM used to have problems with starter solenoid heat soak. Some people would use a ford starter relay and place it up on the fender lining to get it away from some of the engine heat, and then wire it up. I don't know if heat soak is your problem? Any testing at the starter make sure tranny is in park or neutral and a functional parking brake is set. You don't want it accidentally starting in gear. Safety is your responsibility.

This problem also occurs when engine is cold (first starting) I replaced the battery, starter, cables, regulator and had it tuned up about a year before the problem began. I did have a loose ground from block to firewall after checking all cables.

Also, I am switching back from electronic ignition to points/condenser after speaking with someone but I forgot where you ground the coil to?