Locked out

tillerman
5

Asked by Oct 25, 2011 at 01:41 PM about the Chrysler Sebring

Help! I left the key in the ignition (garaged) and the spare in the glove box. Can I order new using the vin number?
Any idea how I can get a new key

Ted Niehas Jr.
145

I'm hoping you called a locksmith. It will cost you just as much to get the key from the dealer as it would to get it unlocked to get the two keys you already have. Oh and you should leave a key in a magnetic box under the car to keep a spare with you. Never leave the spare in the car for times like this.

Barry Greenaway
95

get tennis ball put a small hole in it put over the lock hit it hard the air out of ball the should kick the lock open if its got central locking

tillerman
5

Thanks Ted. I only had the spare with me to get it programmed at the dealers, then forgot it was in the car. Wont happen again

tillerman
5

Good idea Barry. Managed to get it sorted by the friendly owner of the Detroit garage over here. He used a piece of wire, and some pieces of wedge shaped wood. Sorted it without leaving a mark anywhere. Makes you wonder just how secure, even modern cars are these days. Thanks again!

Ted Niehas Jr.
145

you're wlecome, sorry I didn't realize it had to be programmed. I had a 99 sebing and it didn't have a key like that. It was just a plain jane key. I still say a locksmith or if you have roadside like I do call them and get it open for free. they do a good job for mine even tho it's a old school s15 jimmy. I trade the sebring for. but good luck either way.

tillerman
5

Thanks again Ted!

Chase Clark
35

The programmed key is only needed to start the car, not to unlock the cars. If a Chrysler dealer is in a good mood, they can give you key code for the car just based on the VIN number and then a locksmith can easily create a new key.

tillerman
5

Thanks Chase. Problem is, I live in France and the dealership over here is shared with Mercedes. What will happen now Fiat, can you believe it 'Fiat', are involved well, who knows? I looked through the handbook and it tells you how to code it yourself, but I don't think I will go there, as should something go wrong I might be up the creek without the proverbial paddle!

RetdNavy
45

Check with any Chrysler dealership's parts department. The key is probably coded to the vehicle's VIN (found on registration and driver's side dash-look through windshield.)

tillerman
5

Thanks RetdNavy, problem sorted!

Al Self
335

Call a Tow Truck, They will open it for you.