Blazer has to be jumped, then i shut it off and won't start.

135

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 08:03 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Blazer

I came back from deployment and wife said the 1993  2 door blazer was dead. I went out there and it was thought since I had a little juice it was the positive battery cable. I jumped it and it ran fine, but as soon as I turned it off I couldn't start it again. No clicking just like the battery is drained. Thought maybe alternator but it doesn't seem that way.

Yes....get a new battery~....clean the chassis to battery 1/0 cable connection with a wirebrush~

Best Answer
135

Mr. Judge... Sorry don't know much about Mechanics, The battery is fairly new, should I replace the positive battery cable with this. If it is the battery Autozone should replace it for free since its only about a year old.

the battery should be five or younger....the thing that got me up on me hind legs was the YEAR 1993....today's batteries are not made from LEAD anymore...causes brain damage in humans, ....so this is a tin/antimony alloy battery which stops accepting a charge 10 percent per year....so the 1993 thing had my dander all in a fluff~ if like you say IS only a year old it HAS to be the main ground connection to frame....follow the black battery cable to where it attaches to the frame and wirebrush all the corrosion off of that...lug and chassis too...bolt 'em together and it's off to the races~

positive is a 1/0 cable and am sure it's intact...unless you see huge areas of burnt with corrosion areas...yes then replace that one~ good work....stick around and you'll learn a thing or two...started not even a year ago and now am the TOP guy...dunno how?~

335

Batteries need to be used regularly, so 1 year old or not, yours might be dead. But first try cleaning the positive connection with a wire brush and tighten up each terminal. You might still need a jump. Then run the car for ten minutes and shut it off and if does not start, replace the battery. I doubt the alternator is bad, but if it is, you can test by jumping the car and running the car with the lights and heater fan on. If the alternator is bad, the car will stall eventually and not restart. But I bet you just have a dead battery. Maybe Autozone will man up and replace it for a vet. Good luck.

135

I will check that right now, still fairly early here in OK,lol I'll let you know... Thanks... I be around, From MO, and love to play in the mud so need to be able to fix some things myself.lol

135

Alright, Well I checked the cables, I knew they didn't have corrosion at the battery, but no one has ever told me to check at the end of the cables. So I did all seemed fine, then I checked the main body ground by the battery and the nut was loose. Just got done tightening it and I will jump it in the morning and will post again. Again Thank you probably wouldn't have found that simple fix (if that is the fix) if you wouldn't have suggested...

135

Well update is I let it run for about 15 min. Shut it off for a count of 4 then cranked it... let it run for a couple minutes pressing gas the shut it off. I then went to start it again and went back to same problem wants to start just not enough juice.

135

23 December 2013 Problem solved... New Battery fixed the problem and Autozone replaced it for free... Thanks guys....

335

Nice

20

Im having the same problem but i changed the battery a month ago and it still is doing the same thing-i jump it let it run for 20 min and then cut it off sont cut back on