My 2008 Mazda Miata will not start. When I turn the key nothing happens - no click, no noise at all.

10

Asked by Sep 01, 2013 at 07:42 PM about the 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

I was  cleaned the car this afternoon - wiped down the dashboard and instrument panel and vacuumed the seats and floorboards.  Took out the floor mats, vacuumed them and put them back in the car.  Then I put the key in the ignition, turned it and nothing happened.
The dashboard is completely blank and even the anti-theft light that usually blinks is out.
The car was running just fine the day before and my latest maintenance was performed in May which was a 30,000 mile check-up.

24,115

My first thought would be that the battery needs to be replaced. Do you recall if you've done so since you had the car? Possibly an issue with the battery terminals...any corrosion at the + or - terminals?

10

I have not replaced the battery since I bought the car. So if the battery is dead will it take a jump so that I can drive it to a service station?

24,115

That is likely the answer right there! You've got a 5 year old car with a battery that's just as old. Usual lifespan for batteries are 4-5 years tops. I was in the exact situation as you with a 4 year old battery on a Volvo that went dead in my drieway and couldn't be jumped by the AAA service guy...He was able to replace it on the spot for a good price (They have specially equipped battery trucks).....So if you have AAA, that's a good option! Otherwise, it'll have to be towed to a shop...Again, if you have AAA, use them to tow it for you...if not, you'll have to ante up a few bucks.

24,115

As a current owner of a 2011 MX-5 Miata, I'm glad to see that the batteries last at least 5 years! Please keep me posted and let me know how everything works out! Hopefully, I was of some help to you and please feel free to stop in again with any MX-5 Miata questions....maybe we can learn from each other since this is my first one and you've had yours for awhile! Best of Luck to you!

1,005

Yes, the battery is more than likely the cause of the problem, however, I disagree that you need a new battery. Simply my opinion, but I'll bet you had the doors open for a lengthy period. In which case that drained the battery. Take the battery out and have a friend bring you to a battery specialist and ask them to run a check on it and give it a trickle charge. I suggest that it will work. Once that is done, bring the car in and check the charging system. My two cents worth.

24,115

Hey mightymini11....love your MX-5 pic...nice touch with the chrome gas filler door too (I thought about doing that with my Grand Touring as well to match the wheels and door handles). Let me ask you something though: Linda says she has not replaced the battery since she bought it...I'm assuming she bought it new in 2008 (or even if she didn't, the previous owner probably didn't change it). That being said, 5 years have elapsed...and the typical lifespan of a car battery is 3-5 years. So, IMO..even if she gets it jumped and it runs for a little while longer, it's at the end of it's life, for all intents and purposes. Check out this article..not all conclusive, but it speaks to it: http://carbatteryonline.net/car-battery-life.html

85

The battery in my 2001 Mazda MX5 lasted 12 Years, that isn't uncommon for the Panasonic battery if you read the threads, I only replaced it then because I felt it was cranking over a little slow. If they go flat though they can be a bugger to recharge as they are a Gel battery.

1,005

I have had no issues with my battery (knock on wood) but my experience has been (as well as my frugality) that any battery can be recharged. My Crossfires had gel batteries and they were constantly being recharged by the system. The batteries were the ones that came stock with the cars and they were Varta Batteries. Being a photographer for 35 years, I have always used their products for as long as I can remember. I figure it this way, if the charging system in the car can recharge the battery, unless it is punctured, is still viable unless testing proves it not to be. Thanks for the kind words about my Highland Green Touring Miata MX-5.

24,115

Hell...Maybe I'm just paranoid since the battery in a previous car, 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i died (and could not be resurrected by the AAA Service Tech) in exactly 5 years time. I do find it truly amazing that ANY car battery can last 12 years (You may want to call Guiness Book of World records on THAT one, Stuart....Just joking...glad you could squeeze that much out of it...Kudos to you!)

IF IT ISN'T A COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERY, THAT WILL NOT HOLD A CHARGE,YOU NEED A NEW BATTERY! IF THE BTTERY IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD, IT SHOULD BE REPLACED ANYWAY! AS AN EXTRA BONUS, THE BATTERY IN A RIDING LAWNMOWER HAS A LIFESPAN OF ABOUT THREE YEARS! IF YU CHANGE OUT THE BATTERY, AND YOU STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM,IT COULD BE A MULTITUDE OF THINGS,INCLUDING A FUSE, THE STARTER SWITCH, WIRING,ALTERNATOR,ETC.