lexus 350 ? I am interested in purchasing a lexus as a second car for my wife. Are these dependable? are they expensive to maintain and repair? thanks robertr5108@gmail.com

Asked by Dec 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM about the 2008 Lexus ES 350

Hi  I would like to know how dependable the lexus cars are?   are they expensive to own and repair?   am i better off purchasing another car in this 18 thousand dollar price range

Thanks for all your help

roberr5108@gmail.com

1,255

I've worked on Lexus vehicles before and they are quite expensive to repair / fix, some of the parts can cost an upwards $250, and that's just the one part. Dependable wise, they aren't to bad but I've rarely seen people use Lexus long trips mainly they're just for show. Some of the newer models are nice but I cannot vouch for them being dependable. For 18K, I'd go out and purchase a VW Jetta or even a Chevy Cobalt... they're both great cars and dependable. I have a 2007 Cobalt with over 125,000 miles on it, bought it brand new in '07 and have never had a major issue with it. Just my 2 cents. Happy Holidays and good luck!

215

They are very dependable but they are VERY expensive to repair if you take them to a dealer. Repair costs are much easier to swallow at a good independent garage.

6,515

I disagree with the first commenter here. I would not consider any German car because they are usually less reliable and cost much more the repair. Lexus' are VERY dependable. You will not be paying that much at the dealership compared to other luxury cars and it won't cost much more than a Toyota to own.... I would however recommend you get it serviced at an independent repair shop. Merry Christmas!

245

I would (strongly) disagree with the first answer, VW Jetta or Chevy Cobalt?! Lexus are IMHO most reliable cars on the road, and Lexus LS probably the most reliable car ever built. I had 91 & 96 LS400 and currently own 2004 LS430. All have been trouble-free and very reliable. We also have a GL450 and an older ML430, also used to have an M3. Mercedes & BMW dealerships are nowhere close to Lexus in terms of service, they are typically arrogant and often act like they are doing you a service for you visiting there. For instance , local MB & BMW dealerships used to have a dumb policies of using rental cars as loaners instead of theirs. They stopped that relatively recently, finally. It is true that dealership repairs and parts are outrageously expensive. For 18 grand, your best bet is to get Lexus extended warranty, or Lexus Platinum Extra Care Plan. I got the Platinum plan (5yr/60K miles) for my 2004 LS430 three years ago, it cost $3K from a local dealer plus $20K for the car from a broker at a lease return auction. The car had 35K miles at the time. So far, I had minor things covered such as both rear-view power mirrors replaced, also the subwoofer. All of these would have cost $2K without warranty.

6,515

Borislav, your answer is very well thought-out and very helpful. I agree that you will not get nearly the same bang for your buck with a Chevy Cobalt or a Jetta... Pretty cheap cars.

1,255

Same theory applies to what I've first said, basically repair / maintenance is costly. I had a IS 300 and in my home state it will not pass inspection if certain aspects are met... like a cracked headlamp assembly cost me $290, just the headlamp... other issues with it such as motor issues, tire / rotor issues, electrical wiring issues... the total came to $2,400. Cobalt being a German car? Didn't know they were imports.. news to me. Since I've owned my cobalt, I've only had to replace the fuel pump and do oil changes....but other wise no major issues. So its what the guy wants... if he wants a Lexus then get one. I don't recommend one but each their own.

6,515

Chevy Cobalt are not imports and I never referred to them as import vehicles. Don't nit-pick people's just comments because they disagree with you.

365

definitely disagree with the first answer and strongly agree with the above answer (well said joef). Is a lexus going to cost more to maintain than a comparable Toyota/Ford/Chevy/Nissan? Sure. its a high end car. but if you're in the market for a luxury car theres nothing that offers lower cost of ownership or better reliability than a lexus.

80

I have no idea who posted the first answer...it doesn't make any sense as I have 2 lexus vehicles 08 RX350 and 07 ES 350. no troubles at all and fairly cheap maintenance. I had best service from the dealers in NV and OR. They even put a brand new AWD transmission for RX 350 after they discovered a small noise coming from it while driving-I didn't even noticed it and it cost them $8K and I didn't even had the power train warranty expired. You don't need to deal with arrogance of german car dealerships like MB and BMW. And I have no idea why the first replied with a chevy cobolt-it's better to be used as a rental than your own car-cheap plastics, so uncomfortable to sit, bad gas mileage-I rented one and it basically took half a tank to climb uphill 17 miles at Baker from LA to vegas trip in a summer evening. American cars-I would say don't buy as it has so cheap chinese electronics and cheap plastics which don't blend well and which will fail anytime. If you want to compare just see a Lincoln car under a driver or passenger seat how bad they did on wiring-you will see random strands of wires tangles all over-but you never see on ?Japanese or German cars as they are properly assembled with harnesses to hold them and basically sealed.

70

My wife and I have been owning Lexus' since 1996; SC400, GS350, RX 300, RX 350. Very reliable and low maintenance cost. They are just great cars and have been consistently rated by the various vehicle associations for great reliability.

Jesse, BMW wanted $430 for a simple spark plug change and $400 for a battery change. And Indepedent shop wanted 5K to replace my transmission for my 545i. Your getting off easy.

50

absolutely agreed lexus fanatics. It is the cheapest and best car among high end cars. I have 2004 lesus is 250 bought 2009 with 125000 km. Other than regular maintenance such as oil change and tire service, it only cost me around $1k to change catalytic converter and sensor. I still own it with 265000 km on itruns like new. I also hought 2011 kia optima brand newthat junk took $7000 after 3 years only 70000km cam timing over advanced and finally engine died. Kia is a junk specially optima before 2013.

Just bough my first lexus (es350) after having a Toyota Avalon for 3 years with absolutely no maintenance costs beyond oil and filter changes - they identified and fixed a rattle in the sun roof - zero charge to me. I'm hoping the Lexus lives up to it's reliability reputation but considering buying the extended warranty - any advice on that?

I currently own two Lexus cars RX 350 and Rex 450 and never have any problem with them.