2004 chevy venture starter wont turn over.

Asked by Sep 15, 2013 at 04:39 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Venture

starter won`t turn when i go to start. battery is good ignition switch is good, fuse is good,
i can get it to start if i jumper solenoid but it only runs for 3 seconds

Could be a security system problem. Are you using a new or different key? If so, the computer doesn't recognize it so it won't allow you to start the car. HTH. -Jim

it is the key that came with car. Let me explain how this car came about first.My daughter bought this car from person down the road. the car had been sitting for awhile. when i went to get it for i found out that the squirrels had chewed some wires in two.we reconnected the wires but the only way i can get it to run is to jumper the solenoid but it will only run for 3 seconds. could it be something with the wires getting cut that pcm needs reprogrammed??? going to get a starter relay tomorrow to try next.

Oh boy, we're sailing into dangerous waters here. I'm sure it has everything to do with that. You'll need to inspect all the engine compartment wiring as well as the wiring under the dash. Make sure the wires you reconnected are hooked up correctly. Check all the fuses. Under the hood and the inside fuse boxes. Something could have blown while all that chewing was going on. When critters chew into wiring it can be disastrous!! Good luck!! HTH. - Jim