89 240 SX weird problem

5

Asked by Oct 24, 2007 at 02:29 AM about the 1989 Nissan 240SX

HELP!!!! I'm the original owner of my 240 and it has about 150K miles. I take excellent care of it. Looks and runs great...except it has this weird problem. I've had this checked a million times and nobody can find the problem: It starts up like a champ and runs great. As soon as it's warm (around 20 minutes) and I'm driving full bore, it loses complete power for a few seconds...(ie: nothing happens when I have my foot on the gas) I usually just take my foot off the gas until it's finished with this little fit and then I put my foot back on the gas and alls well. Lately, however, it stalls completely dead. I pull over and wait a minute or 2 and she starts up and runs fine. The car has begun stuttering and chugging on rare occasion for a few seconds too and then rides fine again. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS. Anybody have any suggestions? I just had a new fuel pump and my mechanic says the alt is fine??!!
thanx

40,285

You don't mention whether you had the ignition coil/module checked and replaced -- this can cause a problem as it heats up, so these are usually tested with a load-tester that warms them to operating temperature before making all of the tests. It may also be a torque convertor clutch solenoid-- I don't know if these vehicles have one, but a lot of late-1980s GM vehicles had them and they would cause similar problems when they failed. Another possibility would be the fuel pump relay -- did he replace that when he did the fuel pump? Have you run it and had this problem since the fuel pump was replaced? The key here is that it is happening when the engine is warm. Perhaps a head gasket leak as the engine metal contracts as it warms up, or it could be a fuel injector that is crapping out under load at operating temp. There are a lot of tests that should be done to properly diagnose this and I would find another mechanic if yours wants to just replace parts and say that everything is fine now.

5

thanks for the reply. Actually, what's really interesting, is that this has been happening to the car intermittenly for years...sometimes nothing would happen for months!It started out happening only on longer trips when the car was out on the freeway at high speed. Only recently has it gotton worse ie: where it completely dies and staggers even in city driving where I'm not going fast and on short trips. I've taken it to 4 different mechanics over ths years. The mechanic I use now is very modestly priced and fair; they kept the car for a few days and tested it and didn't charge me. I'm reluctant to take it to a "nissan dealer" because the diagnosis will probably be very expensive, but I'm certainly willing to to bring it to a more "sophisticated" mechanic. I live in San Francisco...anybody know any good nissan mechanics? hp

5

Also, the car is driving brilliantly and then it will just drop dead out of no where...no warning whatsoever. And then I sit with it for a minute or two and the engine starts up like a champ and I'm on my way.

i agree with littlehorn on this i would start with ignition i know i 15 is not a place you slow down or just stop bet you do a lot of right lane driving,j kiding take to another shop.

1,165

It could be a number of things . I would start off with making sure all ignition is good ( plugs , cap , rotor , wires ) You could be having problems with the ignitor ( ignition module) as it will "cut out" when driving and vehicle is fully warmed up. Fuel delivery could be an issue too , esp if it stalls like it is running out of gas . A good idea is to have a shop take the vehicle for a few days , and have them hook up a fuel testing gauge , as well as tapping into the ignition system and injectors to make sure you are not loosing spark , or ignition. Have them also test for any trouble codes stored by the ECM . A coolant temp sensor that goes out of range can make the car stall , as well as a tear in the air ducting from the air flow meter to the throttle body . Seeing the car is a little older , you should also have all wiring to the ECM checked for corrosion .

10

apart from the iginition get the exhaust tubes, from the engine output to the rear...the inside of it, also check the electrics of the car...the main part under the dashboard where the all the electric wires are together one of them may be slipping electricity..u can check this by checking the voltage on some parts of the car...if the voltage is not correct it may be causing the prob...good luck

i have a two fourty that use to do that to. you know what happen to mine. I threw a rod in it after couple of months now im looking for a new engine. mine is a 240sx 1989 model. It was doing that than a couple of months it started knocking.

35

check your air intake mine was torn and it would get so hot the rubber part would stick together and not let it breath

35

haha did you change the fuel filter? ey start with the cheapest thing right? well good luck