my engine keeps blowing out the oil filter seal. is there some type of adjustment to make ?

Asked by Dec 02, 2006 at 01:53 PM about the 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet

18,775

This can be a results of the car overheating, which can cause a dangerous situations. Monitor your car's temperature carefully. I would recommend taking it to a mechanic regardless.

605

The oil pump pressure spring is out of adjustment or broken . the only way to fix it is to check the oil pump out to check the spring .PS Some oil filter mounts do have access to the spring.Good luck

140

I had the very same problem. The pressure valve in the oil pump had seized. The fix is to replace the oil pump. A new pump is about $100-$150. It can be replaced with the engine in the car. Jack up the front of the car. Remove the oil pan. The oil pump is held in place with two M6 bolts. Remove the two bolts, and remove the whole pump assembly. Reuse the oil baffle plate (plastic plate attached to the tube on the pump). Install the new pump. Reinstall the oil pan. Replace the oil filter with a new one. Remove the jacks and fill the oil with four liters of new oil. Start the car. The whole job should take less than one hour. Good luck!

185

Your oil pump pressure valve is shot. Spend the extra cash and just buy a new one unless you trust remanufactured ones. I personally have no problems with reman'd parts.

I have a 78 chev 454. I had this problem after over hauling the bottom half of the engine. Unscrew the oil filter, remove the two bolts that holds the oil filter adapter on and check your check valve. It sometimes gets dirty after an overhaul and sticks.