ok so my oil light on the dash board is flickering and im about to order some oil presure sensors but i was wondering if the oil im useing is to thin and might not be sending the right oil presure?

165

Asked by Aug 02, 2013 at 12:35 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet Classic

Im using 10-20 oil should I be using a thicker oil to maybe get a better oil pressure? thanks for the help!

56,715

Try 10W-30 or 10W-40. But it actually sounds like the beginnings of crankshaft bearing failure. Especially if you have high mileage. HTH. -Jim

33,515

Cabriolets were notorious for having weak oil pumps. I would change that out first, if going to a thicker oil doesn't help.

165

so im using 10/30 oil and I changed oil pump to an upgraded one and my oil pressure looks low its at 1bar when engine is all the way warmed up when I rub my engine up to 2000rpm it gos to 1.7bar almost to 2 bars but my oil temp is getting really hot about 110 degrees and when it gets hot the oil light starts flickering at idle only, I am going to order a new low oil pressure sensor and see if it does anything , but would my oil temp be getting hot an oil pressure goin a bit low because I only use water not antifreeze?

33,515

110 degrees doesn't seem too overly hot to me. I mean your anti freeze is at 180. Have you checked your owners manual to see what the specs are for your oil temp in normal conditions?

165

I got the upgraded oil pump for my car but the oil pressure is at 1bar only at idle an when my rpms go up to 2000rpm its about almost 2bar. it says that's where its supposed to be but it drops to almost 0bar at times when im stoped so im not sure whats goin on...and I double checked the oil temp and I guess normal oil temp gets to 100 degrees to 120 degrees so oil temp isn't my problem .. :( I need my car smoged by the end of this month but I don't think it will pass with a oil light on :(

33,515

DId you change out your oil pressure sensor yet? If you have changed that out and your are still having issues, the only other thing would be to take off your valve cover and make sure that the top half of your engine isn't plugged with oil sludge. Usually changing out the oil pump should cure the problem. But like you said it could be a bad sensor.

33,515

Did you change your oil to 20-w50 yet? That should increase your oil pressure. Your car may be idling to low. Try replacing your coolant temp. sensor also. It regulates your engine idle speed through the computer. If it's bad, your car may be idling too low. Just some thoughts...check this link out http://www.cabby- info.com/engine.htm#oil

33,515

Dynamic Oil Pressure Warning System Operation and Testing. In the beginning oil pressure warning lights were very simple devices and earned their nickname of idiot lights. The light was powered from dashboard circuitry and grounded through the oil pressure switch. The oil pressure switch usually opened between three and five psi turning off the light. If the oil light ever came on while driving it was usually to alert you that it was too late. The Dynamic Oil Pressure Warning System adds a considerable enhancement to the oil light warning system. There's now a high pressure switch that is normally opened, it closes at 1.8 bar. If the engine rpm is over approximately 2000 rpm while the switch is still open, the electronic control unit flashes the warning light and sounds the warning beeper. This is a far better system than the earlier system as it can warn you in advance of impending engine problems.