my 1973 vw

5

Asked by Jun 29, 2008 at 05:05 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Beetle

I can seem to get fule to the carb and it justs cranks I even put fule in the carb yet it just cranks is there a trick to the fule pump is it electric??? or could it be vapor locked hasnt been on the road since 2002 only has 39k my grandmother owned it and gave it to me when she passed???

43,535

Fuel pump is mechanical. See if it is functioning.

35

Check for Spark

8,325

Agreed, sounds like it's spark problem. You may want to ask for future advice from thesamba.com they would be more helpful. If your distributer is is dead let me know I've got a Bosch 009 that may be usable on a type 1.

45

The oldest supper bug I have worked on was a 79 with EFI, so I'm not sure w/out getting my hands on it. I work for Rapid Autowreks in Monsey, NY we specilize in VW and Audi If your in the area. Or your best bet would be to post on VWvortex.com.

180

yes spark is probaly the problem check the distributer the rotor and points also

215

Taking it in another direction... The gas might have varnished from the few years of non-operation, and the float/needle seat has become stuck, disallowing fuel from getting to the engine. Remedy: Take a gander at the picture I included. See that big red "X"? get a wrench (any will do, you are not going to go John Henry on this) and give that spot a few light whacks. You should hear a clink when you do; this is the float dropping to the bottom of the bowl, allowing gas to flow into the carb, and thusly into the engine and out your exhaust pipe. If this doesn't work, you may need to open it and clean the varnishing out. But go ahead and check for compression and spark as well.