Bug will move but not far

Asked by Apr 08, 2007 at 03:37 PM about the 1965 Volkswagen Beetle

I have a 1965 bug that's having problems moving. The clutch is brand new and I can shift fine. When I put it in first it will move but you can here something rattleing. You can here something hitting the bottom of the car. Almost like something is broken. Someone said maybe the hub? What the hell is that?

22,570

Hi sbarryofaz! There are so many possibilities here. I have to assume you can visually eliminate something "hitting the bottom of the car" so I'll start with the tranny. I have to ask if the rattling changes with the engine revving. If so it's almost assuredly the tranny. Check the fluid level and if it's low fill it to the proper level and see if things change. If it fixes the problem, flush the tranny and fix the source of the leak. If that doesn't address the issue it's time to seek professional help with a local mechanic. Good luck!