Don't know if i should buy this '86 VW GOLF?

Asked by Dec 04, 2011 at 09:20 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Golf

I know nothing about cars-im a girl haha
This lady is selling a 1986 vw golf, nothing is wrong with it except needs new brake pads,
shes selling it for $800, this would be my first car so i dont know if theyre reliable, expensive, ect. so any advice would help!

95

well its a golf so it'll be very reliable but if it does go wrong it can b very expensive to fix , and every car needs new brake pads every so often so not a problem as such just an pain

5

Well, you have to find out how much miles has it done 100,000-OK 300,000-not so OK. what shape the interior is, that's pretty hard to find for a car like that in the US unless you have or know someone with a good network for that. Is these alot of rust on the car? its probably going to have some but the question is how much They are not as reliable as when you think of some Toyota's or Honda's (im not knocking VW, i drive a mk1 and love it) but are mechanically pretty basic (pretty basic for a mechanic) and most generic parts are really well made and cheaper as aforementioned And one other thing is do you like driving it? I drove a '87 mk2 gti 1.8 8v for awhile and didn't like how it drove (that could have been that specific one though) So go look at the car with someone that knows about cars!

515

You have to think, you arnt going to get much of a car for 800$ no matter what is is.

2,755

These cars are very reliable if well maintained, my advice to you is to get a freindly mechanic to have a look over the car for you, he may be able to see any problems that are not obvious to you or the owner. A car of this age may require alot of cash to be thrown at it before it is deemed 'roadworthy'.

95

well brake pads r really cheap to do just a pain and vws r reliable cars ,it would make a great first car plus there great to drive , i know iv got 1 and i love it , there r things to check but if your not sure , try asking a mechanic or someone you know who knows about cars to have a look for you , you could end up with a bargain

I have an 86 as my first car I paid 400 for it and a few minor repairs later and I love it it won't give up and is super super good on gas. it handles like a gocart and gets decent speed on the highway. I love my VDub! I pay 40$ to fill up my tank from E and it lasts me forever!

255

Good ones and bad ones out there, as with every car.. Golf mk2 parts are rather cheap to. Very ideal first car

275

I love vw's, but I think you can get a newer car for the same amount where the expenses will not hit you as hard later. VW's can be expensive to repair.

255

There also simple to repair so most things u can diagnose or even repair yourself.