Help please!! We have a 1995 Buick Regal 3.L V6 engine, and the SES light is on+

Asked by Aug 31, 2017 at 06:07 PM about the 1995 Buick Regal

it has a 12 pin connector, but it must be the dreaded DB 1.5 because the innova scanner we have that is supposed to read both ODB 1 and 2 can't/won't connect to the computer.   

Is there a device out there that will read these codes, or can someone tell me how to yell to shut the light off? I tried taking off the negative battery cable and that shut off the light temporarily but it came back on. I'm at my wits end - I've been reasearching this for days, and it appears that there *used* to be scanners on the market that would read these cars, but they seem to have disappeared.

This is my mom's car and we have it to sell for her. The light wasn't on when we got it, and IIRC, it came on after the radiator cap leaked (it was the original!) so that was replaced and it doesn't leak anymore, but I think that's when the light came on. I took off the negative battery cable and that turned it off for a bit, but it came back on.
ANY info or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Kim

82,695

Try this. With the ignition off insert a large paperclip in the two terminals on the upper right corner of the ALDL connector (where you plug in the scan tool). This will connect the two terminals together. Now turn the ignition to the run position but DON'T try to start the engine. The service engine soon light should begin flashing out the reference code 12. It will be flash, pause, flash, flash. That will flash out three times. Then a long pause and then any trouble codes will begin flashing out three times each. For example a code 34 would be flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, flash. The codes will flash out three times each before moving to the next code. They will flash out lowest to highest in numerical order. Once reference code 12 begins to flash out again you're done. Turn off the ignition and remove the paperclip, in that order. Since removing the negative (-) battery cable seems to clear the computer (ECM) it sounds like you have an OBD I system. Which is what GM used from 1981 through 1995 and the above procedure should work for you to get the trouble codes out of the ECM. HTH. Jim