I have a 1978 chevy caprice, it has a factory monroof but is rusty and would like to replace it. What other makes and models are compatible with my cars monroof ?

Ismael Amador Peralta

Asked by Jul 07, 2013 at 08:18 PM about the 1978 Chevrolet Caprice

Replace monroof

you're going to have to measure it, then go to a wrecking yard armed with a sheetmetal shears~ sure to find something....you might look into a custom ragtop sunroofs they are usually larger~---- http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Chevy/Ragtops-Sunroofs/

I hate moonroofs- and convertibles- what a concept- to just have a roof! that gives you no problems- check with a salvage yard to find an original part- they have connections to yards all across the country- or, if you really like the car, go ahead and customize it- get a custom garage to weld a solid top on for you and put in a trick headliner- like leopard print with matching seats- killer!

Michael Tutty

Good luck finding a new roof panel. If it is rusty, I am guessing you have the metal sunroof, not the glass moonroof. You would probably have more luck going to glass shop and having them put in the moonroof. Being glass it will never rust again. Either way, you have a very rare Caprice there. The sun- and moon-roof options were very expensive. If you do scout yards, any of the B and C body G.M.s had the same options for the roof. That would c0ver 7ears 1977 through 1985, and these models: Chevrolet: Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, Caprice/Caprice Classic Pontiac: Catalina and Bonneville Buick: LeSabre and Electra 225/Electra Limited/Park Avenue Oldsmobile: Delta 88/88 Royale, Ninety Eight/Regency Cadillac: Coupe deVille, Sedan deVille, Fleetwood

I had to hit up all the local wrecking yards for about 2 months for my 1978 Caprice 2 door replacement. Michael is right about the glass replacement. I have the Landau top with metal/vinyl roof panel and it was all rusted when I bought it from the 2nd owner who had it sitting outside for the last 2 years. Switching to the glass "skyroof" as GM called it on the Caprice was much easier and wasn't just replacing one rusted one with one that wasn't too far from getting rust as well. My sunroof guy that couldn't find one anywhere online or through his resources for months explained that there are 2 sizes that are on the GM cars from 77-85 so just measure diagonally and you'll know if it's the right one. He also shared with me is that when going through the yards and see another sunroof car just look to see if you have the door sill that shows Body by Fisher. That's a good start to look for on other GM cars to see if it will interchange. I found my perfect glass replacement in a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado. Sorry to pretty much restate what Michael said I just wanted to share my experience because it make take some time to find it but they are out there. Best wishes in your journey on the roof! Keep the Caprice clean!!

Mike Larry

I have a 78 caprice classic Landau,i was wondering if I could take the roof off of another model caprice to replace mine like take a roof off of a 4 four door and have it customed to fit

Can anyone answer my question??

Mike Mccormick

I was wondering if a 78 caprice 2 door , and a 78 impala 2 door hood is the same. any help would be appreciated.