blown head gasket

Asked by Apr 24, 2007 at 11:44 PM about the 1985 Toyota Tercel

I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel I recently blew a head gasket, I believe.  I replaced the head gasket and torqued the head in sequence but before doing that I checked the block for cracks and straight edged the head, everything looked good.  In addition, I drained the oil pan and block.  Now that I put it back together and started it, I still have water in the oil.  Question is,  should I have removed the oil pan and cleaned it out or is there something else I did not do or missed.  Need help!   Dan

235

Dan: If you changed the oil prior to start up and now have oil again it won't do a bit of good to change it again. It sounds like you have a cracked block. This can be verified by pressuring the radiator with a pressure pump that can be rented at a local name brand parts store. Pressure the radiator to about 40PSI and start looking for seeping water around the intake and the heads. Pay especially close attention to head bolts. If you don't see any water but the pressure is dropping on the pressure gage then the leak is internal. I would drain the pan of all liquids,be sure there is no residual left in the pan and then pressure the radiator. If the leak is internal you will begin to see water come out of the pan--be sure and leave the pan bolt out when making this test. Don't attempt to start the engine until you know for sure whats happening. Im curious? Didn't you say at first that you drained the pan? If by chance you didn't by all means drain the pan first.

you might also have to replace the o rings on the in jectors they could be screwwed up

10

I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel, std, that is in excellent running condition, original engine runs great, four new tires, all inside parts intact. There is some body rust....I am interested in selling this car -- sleuthsteve