Shifts into Gear but car will not move

Asked by bekaboo3b May 08, 2017 at 12:00 PM about the 2005 Honda Accord

Yesterday my boyfriend was driving his 2005 Honda Accord on the highway, he had stopped to go thru a toll, after he started going again, the car started to slow down, he pulled over to the side of the road.  He tried going again, put the car in gear, the shifter moved, light showing shifter to drive but the car wouldn't move. Tried a different gear and still would not move. He checked the Transmission Fluid, that was good.  Had the car towed. Had the mechanic check the brakes to make sure they didn't freeze up, those were good. the mechanic also checked the transmission fluid and said it was fine.

What other possibilities could it be that we should know about.  The mechanic is simply suggesting a new transmission however, I would like to rule out all possibilities before spending the money on replacing it.

155

Sounds to me like the transmission went out. I had an '03 Honda civic that did the same thing. Started slowing down as i drove it. Car still running and could place into gear, but wouldn't move. Transmission died.

60

the car was running in good condition only head gasket was blown and the car was towed to grage but the heating problem has be sloved only it is not moving

180

How to repair automatic repair of gear box repair

340

If a 2002 Honda Accord make nosies when you put it in gear and won't move.

100

My Honda Did The Same Thing ! But When I Restared The Car Everytime The Tranny Stopped Working It Would Start Working Again ! I Be On The Freeway From D4 To Neutral And Turned Off Engine Back To D4 And Tranny Starts Up Fine ! What Can Be The Problem !?

5

The TCC Solenoid! Mine had this problem and I figured out that it was that solenoid. Mine would not shift whenever I would slow down or whenever I would come to a full stop. When it started acting up, I could throw it in neutral, turn it off, wait a second and crank it back up and it would do just fine until it would downshift. Definitely do some tests on the solenoid and/or run the codes to see if that’s what it is before you jump on the transmission.