I have a '01 Dodge Durango and I have a nasty popping/grinding in the transfer case. Can I disconnect the front drive shaft and drive it without the noise?

50

Asked by Jul 22, 2014 at 08:54 PM about the 2001 Dodge Durango

33,365

Maybe. Try it and see what happens. That worked on my Expedition.

Best Answer
50

It will be in 2wd all the time and I won't have that sound?

33,365

If it's in the transfer case that makes the noise then the sound will go away.

50

I found out that I was low on tranny fluid.. my friend hasn't been back to try disconnecting the front shaft. Do you know how to do it? I don't have the $800 to buy a new transfer case which are usually rebuilt anyway..

33,365

Hummmmm. Did you have the transfer case oil checked? Have that check as well as the differencles.

50

How do you check that?

50

Btw the truck has about 176,000 miles on it.

33,365

On the side of the transfer case there's a plug that the tip of a 3/8 ratchet can fit in. Put the tip in and turn to the left. Take the plug out and stick the tip of your finger in and see if there's any oil on it when you pull it out. Now the transfer case needs a special weight of oil. I'm not sure what it is so ask at the parts counter. If it turns out that you need a transfer case, look into a used one from the junkyard. With.The miles on the Durango now I don't think it's worth spending to much money on it.

33,365

Oh and to replace the plug do just the opposite. Turn it to the right. Simple rule of thumb. Righty tighty. Lefty loosey.

50

I agree with not buying a new one. I thought about calling a junk yard. I appreciate your advice and I am going to try to check the oil today. I'm a woman who knows a lot about vehicles but I rarely get my hands dirty! But if it will save money I will try it!!!

50

I had my friend replace the CV trans axle and then I heard the noise coming from the transfer case area. How can I check the u joints to rule that out?

33,365

If the noise happened AFTER you had the CV axle installed, make sure it was the correct one and double check the installation. I'm wondering if that's the problem. Let me know.

50

It turned out to be the front shaft propeller. One of the bearings blew a hole in it. My friend removed the front shaft and my truck has never been this quiet!! I have had an annoying noise for the last few years that sounded like a stone was in the hub cap. Turned out to be the propeller was rusting out because no one ever greased it. I'm just thankful that it wasn't the transfer case!! But if I ever want to use my 4 wheel drive again then I will have to fix the shaft. But I have barely used the 4x4 since I bought it 5 years ago! It doesn't matter to me very much.. I'm just happy with being able to drive it!!! Thank you for all of your advice!! You helped me locate the actual problem.. if I could give you a hug I would!

33,365

Hey Cathy that's great news! :-) Check your fuel mileage. It might just increase a little.