I have a 97 GMC Sierra that all of a sudden won't start. I drove home yesterday and it was fine. Got in it this morning and it turns but drags and brings the voltmeter to my battery way down and won't start. I tried charging and still the same thing with battery showing to be fully charged. I replaced the starter with a new one and it turns a little faster but still drags some with no starting and is still pulling battery down while turning. Voltmeter goes right back to normal when I stop turning it?????? All fuses and everything checks to be okay.

Asked by Nov 28, 2013 at 01:28 PM about the 1997 GMC Sierra

1,905

Try a jump pack.....if it works your batt. may read good but not...rule of thumb is new starter/new Battery. Bad Battery will ruin a good starter..

That's what I was thinking. Is there a way to tell if the alternator is bad? Paid out 114 for a new starter and don't know if I can afford a new battery and a new alternator......

1,905

Take it to a parts store and they will do a test for Alt. and Battery drain test....it has to be one of the two..good luck

1,905

Did you clean termienls...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

it's NOT the terminals but where the black cable connects to the chassis...undo the bolt and wirebrush till you see metal...chassis and lug...and put 'em back together...insure the motor block is grounded near the alternator to the 1/0 ground connection as well (for the startermotor)~