5.7 won't stay running

30

Asked by Mar 08, 2016 at 07:54 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

97 Firebird, ran great when purchased, now,
won't run konger than 5 min before stalling and
wont restart. All sensors, and modules were
replaced, even the optispark. Some replaced
twice. Any guesses as to what the issue may
be? I was thinking the fuel sending unit, but not
sure anymore.
No clue what to do anymore besides sell it,  
and thata not what I want to happen.

5,565

is temperature related?...is goin' TOO rich? Temperature sensor please!~ https://www.google.com/? gws_rd=ssl#q=1997+pontiac+firebird+temperature+sensor

5,565

all modules and sensors...guess I did not see that...runs for a while and stalls means either TOO much gas...or too much air/gas ratio~ in this case with the correct information on the temperature sensor should NOT be a problem....unless there are other complications, like a plugged catalytic converter, dirty fuel filter....starved of gas...not drowning in gas...means control of the gas...which the sensor and hardware it drives...do not know..sorry!~

4,965

Tell us more about the problem, please. Does it stall when idling or braking or during acceleration? Could be your fuel pump is failing or maybe your fuel filter is not allowing enough flow to accelerate properly. If its a fuel injected engine have the injectors flow tested or otherwise proven to be operating normally. The more you can tell us, the more likely it will be that you get some meaningful advice.

30

It stalls no matyer what, idleing, getting gas, it jist quits and wont start again. I havent replaced the fuel pump, that was a thoughy, however when it dies, I hear tje fuel pump work, or try to work. I was told it was replaced before I got it, but I kinda have an idea if it was replaced, it was a used one. Wasnt sure if that was the problem, or could be the problem. It was running for 15 min, then 10, then slowly got shorter running time. So it could very well possibly be the pump?

5,565

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Pontiac/Firebird/1997/engine/