Running rich

10

Asked by Oct 13, 2016 at 10:30 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

My 95 trans am 5.7 lt1. I got check engine light so I
popped the hood and touched the maf sensor wire
connector  the car shut off. I reapeted it by starting
it up and touching it and it died again when I
restarted it and pulled the connector off the car
still was running. So I replaced the tps and maf.
The car still has a check engine light and runs rich
what could be my problem the car also can rum
with the maf unplugged . what could be the issue

5

Try using a fuel system cleaner, check your catalytic converter. Maybe its going bad. Or a bad oxygen sensor.

995

But what's the exact code have you done a code reader on it and see what code you're getting? You might have to replace the mass airflow sensor get back to us?

10

Ya dude I replaced the maf and ICM today. Slight difference in running but it still has the check engine light and runs weird. The car has a welded in exaust dump for about a year now and that's never caused me any trouble

995

Welded in exhaust dump that might have a lot to do with it, that might be setting off your computer into making your computer throw codes because your emission systems not working right? You should have a code reader and actually pull the codes from the cars computer I hope you can do that and then we can understand what your codes are additionally with the code reader you can reset all your codes to where you have none and then see what codes come back if any give us an update when you can when you get a code reader into that?

10

No codes showed up. And on the o2s I did the bypass kit from summit. I also had the computer tuned when I did the pipe work. The coils new the ICM is new the maf and map is new. I guess I'm going to check how much pressure the fuel pump is putting out. I just don't under stand that when I touched the maf sensors pigtail connector its shut off and then when I unplugged it, it did not shut off.

10

I thought I could be my optispark but this is the cars 4th one and I went with a msd pro billet so I can't see how it would fail after 6 months

995

Sounds like on your MAF sensor that when you touched it's sensitive I think mine did that before I replaced it. I replaced it I put in one from O Riley's it worked fine for a while a month or so then it heated up and start sucking power from the car even when the car was parked and turned off . It was hard starting the car really hard to start and had to get a jump and all that stuff it was failing even though it was a brand new lifetime warranty part. If you had your computer tuned I would say it's got to be probably something like that may have to go get it reprogrammed again to your cars specific mods in question installed on it have that company do it other than that maybe replacing MAF sensor again?