overheating and accelleration problems

65

Asked by Aug 10, 2011 at 01:51 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

hey i had a overheating problem so i put in a new thermostat and it ran cool for a day then it got really hot like water spoutting out the breather so i bought a new radiator now it runs hot when i drive but when i come to a stop it drops to like 180-210 and my vacuum lines arent hooked up because its  two seperate vacuum adapters  and i got two lines coming from the driver side of motor to the injectors on the passenger side and there 5 tubes for hook ups on the 2 adapters its confusing i go to hook them up my car dies well anyways when i had changed my radiator i unbolted the waterpump and moved the electrical out my way attached to it my uncle said dont the waterpump is good so i hooked it back up now my car runs like a v6 ......pleaseeeee help me i feel like ive been spaded !!!

525

run a compression check on the motor sounds like it is leaking compression into the cooling system

65

how do i run a compression check?

525

get a compression tester most auto parts stores have them as a loaner tool. pull all spark plugs and go cylinder to cylinder spinning the motor over and record the readings there should not be more than a 10 % variance. somewhere around 160 psi. if you are not comfortable find a good shop.