injectors will not spray

Asked by Apr 15, 2014 at 10:32 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr XR2 Turbo Convertible

The injectors have gas to them and i have fire to the regulator .It will start if i spray a little
starting fluid but dies,i know that is bad for the motor but i have ran out of options

21,495

you could check fuses and wire connections at harness for loss of electronic injector pulse

25,805

First, does the fuel pump pressurize the system when you turn the key to run for 3 seconds? How much pressure? Have you hooked up a Noid to one of the injector electrical connectors to see if it flashes when you crank the engine? Have you checked the Inertia Switch? The injectors pulse with a signal from the distributor via the PCM. You have spark so I don't think the Distributor is the concern. Could be but not likely. Fire to the regulator? I hope you don't mean fuel pressure regulator - that's vacuum. Personally, I'd start with the fuel pump - actually test the pressure and delivery - a squirt from the fuel rail is not a test.

40

That series of Capri work a little different. The fuel pump only comes on in the start and run position. There is no 3 second preprime like other vehicles with KOEO. First you have to make sure it's pumping. On the passenger firewall you will see three connectors. It's either the green or yellow connector. It's the only one with two female pins in it. That is your fuel pump tester. It activates the fuel pump relay when you jump a wire across the two pins with the key on. You'll hear it and see the fuel line by the filter jump. Also the VAF on top of the air cleaner has a fuel pump switch in it. When the vane door is closed it powers the pump like when decelerating the pump comes on to prevent a stall. Pull the big connector off and it's the black wire (second one in) and the Green/white stipe, maybe yellow but it's on the outer edge beside the black wire. Those two are your fuel pump switch. Ohm the VAF side. Vane door closed it should read 10,000 ohms. On the plug ohm the black wire to ground and you should have continuity or the wire is bad. That green/white?yellow? wire goes to the fuel pump relay behind the center console. You can ohm it out too. This guy copied the hard to get Capri manual to the internet in pdf format. Save it. http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/1991_Service_Manual.h tml

40

Look like this site put a space in the last 4 digits of that link. Take the space out for it to work.

30

I had this happen to me twice, both times when I ran out of gas. It was the main relay both times. I now carry a spare, liberated from a Mazda 626, at a "Pick-N-Pull" wrecking yard for $15.00 dollars. I acquired the last two there too. On your Capri the main relay is located behind the coolant recovery bottle on the left fender. That relay took me two weeks to find the first time. All that is needed to replace it is a #10 socket or wrench. Also check your emergency shut off button in the bottom of the trunk to the left of the spare tire. If it doesn't click when you press it then you most likely have a fried main relay.