1991 mercury capri xr2 will not start

Asked by Nov 13, 2010 at 06:32 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo Convertible FWD

I have just replaced the water pump and timing belt and then tore out the dash to replace the computer and have the heater core and ac evaporator cleaned and pressure checked.  I did the dash because the car had been running at high idle (1450 rpm) and the idle speed control valve had been changed.  Everything is put together correctly and the car started but sputtered.  It ran for about three minutes then quit.  I have not been able to get the car to restart. I have changed the wires, cap, button, coil, and replaced the electronics on my distributer, but it will not start.  I have voltage to the coil, but no spark.  Help!!

85

Ok, i have had a similar problem with mine i would check in the trunk. there is a fuel pump shut off switch and that is a main cause of trouble with starting as it is easily set off. also check power to the injectors its factory position in the engine bay leaves it very vunerable to damage and arching. hope this helps.