starting problem

Asked by Jun 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

Hello, I have 1991 capri that sometimes will not start, it has fuel and power but will not turn over unless you rock the car while it is in gear. when it starts it will run ruogh for a minute then is ok, the engine has 75,000 miles on it, the starter is new but have not replace the distributor or the coil, what could this be
Thanks

145

Wow, that does sound crazy, two things come to mind. 1) neutral safety switch or 2) Safety cutout switch in the trunk. If your serious about keeping this Capri, keep a eye out on eBay for a Maintence manual for it. Aveage cost $50.00 I got lucky three years ago bought mine for $30.00 ENJOY DA SUMMER !!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the help i'll try that and see what i come up with, like your capri looks good. Thanks

145

ah, man I wish it was, nope just a share photo. My favorite photo of a XR2, it has to the best in da USA !!! I create a website with more Capri(s). Check it out, goto: http://gorand52.tripod.com/id9.html take care, live long, RAND

You could be leaking water into the combustion chambers. Does the radiator level stay up? If not check for cracked head or bad head gasket. Good luck.

5

ya me paso eso , cambiale el modulo de arranque, o pastilla que trae, le queda el de ford tambien. y listo.saludos!!

50

did you have this problem before you put the new starter in? if not then the starter may be sticking in the flywheel

50

it sounds as if your clutch isn't disengaging or your clutch switch isn't sending the signal. If you have an automatic it could be that your flywheel is out of sink with your converter which has a magnetic relay that aligns with the switch to show it's in neutral. if this is the case ,then you have to align the arrow on your flex plate to the mark on your converter which is usually a pinhole type of mark or a paint mark on your convereter. check it out with your manuel

Could be the timing key on the crankshaft pulley. That was the problem with mine, very similar problem. They were known as the short nose cranks on those years and always sheared the key. I spent 400$ diagnosing it till I saw the crankshaft timing pulls moved by hand w/out spinning the crank. Then it was a 2$ piece of square key stock and she ran like a kitten hahaha. The $400 included rings, 2 head gaskets, relapping the valves, exhaust manifold gasket, oil pan gasket, plugs and oil.