Fuel delivery problem ?????

Asked by Nov 12, 2010 at 04:57 PM about the 1976 Mercury Capri

I have a 1976 Capri " Black Cat " , just out of 5 yrs.in storage . The fuel tank was dry during
the time .I added enough gas to bring the gauge up to 1/2 a tank , crank & crank , but no fuel
at the carburator inlet . The fuel pump was working when parked . Any ideas ?????????

12,135

Yeah the float is probably stuck ... Take a wooden hammer and tap tap tap on the fuel bowl of the carburator May want to stick some fuel down the throat of the carb also to give it a little help

I totally rebuilt the carb . Just can't seem to get any fuel from the tank . The fuell pump worked when parked . Can the fuel pump go bad just from sitting ????? It is mechanical , so you would think life expected to last a long time ! Maybe a clogged line ???? Do these have one of those " filter socks " thingy in the tank on the end of the suck up line ????? Really baffled ! Car has a V -6 2800 cc , 2100 model Motorcraft 2 BBL. carb .

12,135

Possible - then use a remote fuel tank :) - Gas can with a gallon or so of fuel in it. Run a rubber line down from the fuel pump line the goes to the tank and run it into the fuel can. See if you get fuel to the carb then. ( It does start with fuel put down the carb right ?? ) If you have any testers the pump pump is supposed to pull about 3" of vacuum and push about 5-6 pounds of pressure.

Thanks Mike . I've tried trickling fuel down the carb , cranked , and get a rumble for 5 seconds or so , so it will run . Don't have any testing equipment , but the portable fuel tank sounds like it will rule out a bad fuel pump . I kinda suppect it being bad , but your idea test will prove " yes or no " . Won't get to working on it till mid week. - Joey -

***** PROGESS UPDATE ***** Well I pulled the line off the fuel pump , not good news ! Clogged with a white crud ( Dried gas , my guess ? ) But I tried the remote fuel tank trick anyways . It would not pull any fuel . Removed the fuel pump . It has screws for taking apart , its full of the same white crud as-well . I clean it up , put back together & bench test it , by it doesn't work . So buying new pump of eBay . Also the line from the pump is clogged up too , so bought some new 5/16 " tubing from the parts store and custom making a new line there. I'm just wondering if the line from the tank to pump is ok ? Probably not , but will try to blow compressed air thru it as time of repairs go . If its clogged , looks to be a real chore to replace . ALSO , A NOTE TO ALL ------ The fuel pumps for these cars are getting VERY HARD TO FIND ! A lot of places discontinue them , lucky to find one on eBay ! - gbjoey -