I have a 1995 mercury villager That will not start at times. Battery not dead.?

30

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 01:30 PM about the 1995 Mercury Villager 3 Dr GS Passenger Van

We replaced battery terminals, 2
starters,  checked alternator,
Last night I noticed my lights were
having power surges, like bright to
dimmer,
Their are times it will not take a
jump an the battery will not be
dead coz the lights work an etc.
I think I would replace battery but
what has made this mess, it could
ruin the battery again right?
Ok, can a BAD BATTERY MESS
THINGS UP LIKE THIS, LIKE
SHORT OUT THE STARTER?
CAN JUMPING THE BATTERY TO
MANY TIMES MESS UP THE
BATTERY ?  I NEED HELP ,PLEASE,
I HAVE TO FIGURE THUS OUT
BECAUSE THIS IS A MEDICAL  
NEEDED VAN FOR MY KID.

1,205

Because of the light dimming thing, your alternator is putting out too much current, and has probably fried the battery. If the alt. has an external regulator, it's the problem, but it's probably internal. Replace both alt. and battery, and go from there. Also check to see if there is a starter relay. I have a factory shop manual, I could look later when I have more time.

Best Answer
30

I believe it is the alternator, there is no external reg , an no starter relay, just the inhibit. I would appreciate any advice you can give me , I just had to leave it a minute ago , it would not start, the new battery didn't have enough cranking power.

1,205

Charge the battery with a charger, get it started, and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be around 14.5 volts with engine running. That way you'll know if it's putting out too much or too little.

30

I looked under the top where the relays are, and they all say NISSAN, is that normal, lol, omg, my son law hates me. It all started with 2 badly needed battery terminals last summer, he left me a jump box, he told me he fixxed the terminals, but he lied. I think it was jumped so much till the starter was fried, then the battery was leaking acid so the baterry was fried but the alternator got fried to, I wasn't thinking the first time I saw the lights dim, And it has gone overboard with this crap, NOW I SEE NISSAN RELAYS ! I FEEL TOTALLY ABANDONED, MY VAN HAS BEEN STUCK IN ANOTHER TOWN SINCE YESTERDAY, I'M SO TIRED I'M AM FURIOUS WITH THE SO CALLED MECHANIC, HOW DOES HE MAKE MONEY AT A DEALERSHIP AND DON'T KNOW A DAM THING ! I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START NOW.

1,205

Villager is made by Nissan. Jut put in a new battery, terminals, and alternator.You might get by with just the battery, until you replace the alternator, if needed. This is not a big deal, just get a damn battery in there, to start with.

30

IT HAS A NEW BATTERY, 3 WEEKS OLD, THE BRAND NEW BATTERY will not turn the engine, the brand new battery has no reason to not hold a charge, the new battery is not even got dirty yet. So I'm ahead, I got the dam battery in it, and it won't start.

1,205

O.K. You've got to find out if the alternator is charging by measuring the voltage when it is running. Put it on a battery charger overnight, or a few hyours. it should start. Then measure the voltage, should be 14.5v. Also, the alternator could be shorted and draining the battery, or maybe it's shot and not charging the battery. Are the headlights bright or dim when you turn them on? If they're dim, the battery needs charging, if they're bright, then you're gettting into relay or starter problems. Nothing can be determined until the battery is charged. You really need a voltmeter and battery charger to figure this out.

30

Ok, Thank you. I will take the Battery to Auto zone an have them charge it, they can test it to. But the only time the lights were right to see is when I got the new Battery 3 week ago. Then last week I noticed them dimming, Like the battery wasn't being charged. I HAD A CHOICE OF 450 or 575 Cranking amps when I bought the battery, so I got the 575. The book said those were the 2 sizes to use. So I will get it charged today and tested. One question about alternator. Do they run the pattern of some time works, some time it won't when it starts to go out? I thought the made a noise to. Just wandering. Thanks . Be back later.

1,205

Usually when they're bad, they stay that way, with the noise, and these symptoms, I'm almost sure you need a new one. The noise could also come from an idler pulley for the belt, best to replace it and the belt along with the alt, hardly any extra labor.

30

Good morning, Well, I had the battery charged, an the alternator tested, starter to , and it showed that they were all good . I was just stuptified. They said it was a electric problem. Now I don't know what direction to go , so I bought me a charger for now. They could not test the starter RELAY, But a few months back I had a pigtail an connetor replaced on the pass side of head light.That an the starter are the only redos I had done. I do think the stereo has a short because at times it will cut off an right back on,. I don't no what to do next, I probably cannot afford a electric desire mess, Oh my. Oo well.

1,205

Did it start? How did they check the alternator if it didn't. I notice on my '98 that there are several wires coming from the pos. batt. terminal besides the heavy one to the starter. Those could be fuseable links, and one could be burned out. I hate those damn things. I have a factory Shop manual for mine, I'll study the wiring diagram tonight and see what I come up with. Let me get the facts straight, you've replaced the starter and batt. I still don't see how the alt. could be checked unless engine was running, or it was removed and put on a jig. Does it start and run when charged?

30

Yes it was running, After the battery was charged it started, then I drove it to th auto place, so while it was running they checked all 3, I have a book to but I have to locate it. . Thanks, I'll see what you come up with.

1,205

I wish I knew the voltage on the battery when the engine is running. It shout be 14.3 volts, or so. So, it goes dead sitting overnight? If so, there is a whole proceedure to go through to find what's draining the battery. You will need two alligator clips, some wire, and a 12v tail-light bulb, and or a seat-belt buzzer from a junk yard.

30

It has not gone dead no more, BUT, I keep the radio off. I know the radio has a problem.

30

COULD IT BE THE STARTER RELAY ?

1,205

It wouldn't hurt to replace it, but if the battery didn't go dead, and it started, then I'd suspect something draining the battery(like the radio). I still want to know the voltage across the battery with the engine running. Without that, I'm stabbing in the dark. a cheap multi-meter will do it, or the auto store.

30

Ok, I will get it today or tomorrow, I'm moving so give me a day or so But I will be back , ok,