2001 Hyundai Elantra valve cover question

Asked by Feb 02, 2014 at 10:09 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Here's a picture of the ones that are commonly available (different from what I apparently
have on there now; damn if I know why).

The valve cover on my wife's Elantra is cracked and needs to be replaced. Her 2001 is cracked where there is a kind of screw fitting (brass) on top for where you screw in what I guess is the silver dust cover. Anyway, I looked on ebay for a replacement and NONE of the 2001 replacements have these screw fittings except a NEW one from someone named Four Green (Engine Valve Rocker Cover for 01-02 Elantra 1.8 2.0 OEM [2241023510]) (below) photo. All the other replacement covers lack these fittings (like the one above). I did find a 'late 2007' cover which seems to correspond, but there is no way a 2007 cover got on the car since we've had it since before then. So, I'm confused as to which is the correct part and if I don't get the correct one, will the silver cover thingy not fit? I will try to attach a photo of the other type in a subsequent post.

...okay, well let's use our heads here...this is a positive crankcase ventilation tube....takes the crankcase pressure and puffs it out for the intake to draw in~ there are no other connections to the crankcase....except to draw the fumes in through a PCV valve (look for one, you'll find it)....so it is important that this system be connected....if you're talking about the right angle nipple there in the photo...this definitely has to be there for positive ventilation of the crankcase fumes....honestly can think of no other use for this connection...hope this helps~

as long as the bolt patterns and clearances are okay, would find this outlet from the crankcase fumes to the intake plenum~ confident that you'll find it~

I checked too and (four green) was the only one I could find. It was on ebay but they have 3 different listings for the same valve cover with different prices.

Your car is years 01-02 only.

Did you check rockauto. com? HTH. -Jim

SORRY, I must have not been clear. MY car appears (from what the mechanic showed me when the silver cover was off) to have the kind of valve cover shown by Four Green. And, you will notice that there are SIX brass-colored female fittings on top that something (like the silver cover) screws into. (This is not a PCV valve connection issue; sorry.) But I am finding the other valve cover listed as compatible. What gives?

It must be set up for vehicles with different options that could bolt to it. These don't go all the way through. You only use the threaded holes you need for the options you have on yours. The others will stay empty.

Well, my car is a GLS and I don't see any 'options' bolting onto the top except the brass fitting on the Four Green cover (I have) at about 9 o'clock is now a hole and the brass fitting had a little plastic cone or something screwed into it that seemed to fit just below a hole in the top of the silver cover toward the driver's side end of the engine. Are you saying I can just buy either one and I'll be fine? Because the Four Green model (new) is like 4 times the price of the other ones (used). Thanks.

what is the purpose of these fittings? can be only for crankcase fumes...tell me that these are NOT used for the crankcase fumes....I can think of nothing else...sorry I cannot help with this, other than to say look at the FUNCTION~....of this fitting~

The fittings are in the picture above; they are obviously not in any way related to crankcase fumes. My question actually relates to the silver cover that screws on TOP of the valve cover (it must be a dust cover or something). It would appear these two different valve covers are compatible with two different dust covers and I don't want to get stuck with a mismatch. It's only the valve cover I'm trying to replace. Nothing is wrong with my present dust cover (the thing on top that is silver and has DOHC 16V written on it).