Rear passenger tail light and dash lights not working, fuse or headlamp switch issue?

Asked by Aug 11, 2015 at 12:37 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

My 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS's brake/tail light stopped working as well as my dash lights
(on the main console and the speedometer backlight). The indicator lights still work and
my turn signal still works on my rear tail light. I checked the fuses but they look good, I'm
going to test them soon but I wanted to get some ideas from other people.

10

Megan, I don't have an answer, but the same thing just happened to my 2002 Hyundai Elantra on Thursday night

10

Same thing just happened to my 2001 Elantra GLS a week ago.. Rear passenger side tail light went out, instrument cluster lights out (other than the strip in the middle that shows what gear you're in), and I also noticed the front corner light/ turn signal is out, and the passenger side as well.. I'very already changed the tail light bulb, and I'm going to test my theory that the front turn signal bulb might be the problem, and that they are all in series.. If not, it has to be a relay or a fuse somewhere.. I'm going to change my front turn signal bulb here shortly (2357A is the bulb for this).

46,025

The first thing to do is check fuses and bulbs.

10

My problems were all resolved when I replaced the side marker bulb which was burned out. That should solve your problem Elantra_beater0330

10

I've tried all of the quick fixes, changed all bulbs with new (old bulbs actually tested OK still) front headlights/markers, rear brake/signals, and liscence plate lights... all of them... I then went to check fuses, and I noticed the "Tail RH" 10a fuse was blown. I changed that with a spare 10a fuse, and that instantly blew, after starting the car and turning the lights on?!?!? The front marker, the rear tail, and the instrument cluster are all on the same circuit I've noticed, as well as the liscence plate light... And I can get the tail light to light up when applying the brakes, and the front marker to light up when using the turn signal.. But when they need to be on as "running lights" I have nothing, as well as having no illumination in the tachometer and speedometer.... I've seen many people have the same problem as me online, but nobody seems to have an answer :( guess I'm going to have to sort through this on my little time off.... could be anything :/

10

My liscence plate lights do work too... and the second function (rear brake light and front turn signal) of the dual filament bulbs are working as well... could this be a switch or a relay somewhere, that's malfunctioning??

20

I have a 2013 Elantra and my passenger rear tail light stays out!!! I have taken it to a small service Ctr to be fixed /replaced 3 times since Nov 2015. I just realized yesterday that it is out AGAIN! The Svc Ctr insisted that it is an electrical issue. I would like to take it to the dealer it they are really expensive and so full of it!!!! Maybe there has been a recall that we don't know about. It's really odd theater are all having lighting issues.

I am currently having the same issue in my 2005 after I installed a radio. I have been reading up and will be checking the diodes, hope it works

I've been having a very similar problem with my 2003 Elantra GLS - the tail lights and dash lights would seemingly randomly shut off and come back on. I found after this happened a few times, though, that jiggling the turn signal stalk would get them to turn back on. And off again if I continued to play with it. I thought it was just the dash lights at first, until I was pulled over while driving one night and informed that there wasn't a single illuminated light on the back of my car.

My brake lights in the one in the back window do not come on I check all the fuse and they are good