2002 Elantra has trouble starting after putting gas in

Asked by Oct 03, 2014 at 12:29 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Hello. I have noticed this for the last few weeks. After putting gas in my car, there can
be times where the car will not start. It may sputter for a second before it dies. I would
then attempt it a few times before it finally starts. This happens when there is less than
half a tank of gas when I fuel up (I never top off). If I fuel up with more than half a tank
of gas, there is no problem starting the car.

Otherwise, I have no problem starting the car. This only happens after filling the tank.
What is the most likely culprit? Is it a bad fuel pump, bad fuel filter, or purge valve?

Thank you in advance.

10

I am having the exact same issue. Some things I have tried thus far is starter,starter relay,battery and ignition switch. None of these have resolved my issue. So I would love to know what others think. I am currently waiting on call from friend that works at dealership where I got car. He is going to ask a few techs there. Per him he said none of the fuel pumps items can be the issue since it is not even getting the spark to start or crank car. If you find the issue I would love to know what you found also.