04 Sonata tries to start but engine not turning over

Asked by Jan 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM about the 2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS

It cranked normally for one second.  Then all I could hear was the starter.  Also, a complete different sound when I am cranking.

Is it a really fast clicking sound after it stops cranking?

No clicking after I let off the key

Oh.. no, like.. you are trying to start the car, it cranks slowly then the noise turns to a very fast clicking (starter relay). Then you would let off the key.

Is this the original battery / getting older? Has it been cranking slower than normal lately? And has the temp dropped below 20-35 F in your area in the last few weeks? Lots of batteries struggle in extreme cold and heat. In between - not so much. For now, I'm going with battery - as long as it is actually cranking and then the relay is switching on/off really fast. But if that's not the case, let me know.

let me start over. Not a bad battery. For one or two seconds the started engaged the engine and the engine was turning over then it quit and the only thing happening now is the starter trying to crank the engine but I don't believe the engine is actually turning. Kind of like just the starter is in motion. Was wondering if it might be a starter or a timing belt. If a broken timing belt, would the engine still crank or just sit there?

It would depend on the engine being interference or not. If it is interference, then I would really hope it is not your timing belt gone bad. But don't get to the worst thing yet. So, when you turn the key you get (a) nothing/no sounds at all, (b) one loud click and then nothing (c) the starter whirr (actually spinning the starter 'gear')? If C is what you are experiencing, your starter could be loose / not aligning with the flywheel OR missing teeth on the flywheel. If so, I would turn the engine via the crank pulley nut just a small amount and then try starting again. And then I would drive it to a mechanic. If these are not accurate enough, let me know. Also, if there is a hot burning electrical smell / aka / the starter is trying to turn the engine and is whining under stress of not moving.. umm.. Then I don't know what would lock the engine besides a seized bearing / timing belt broken w/ interference engine (valves stopped pistons - expensive). Also, if the engine won't turn with much effort - if you get that far - with a wrench/socket-ratchet/tightly adjusted pliers (DON'T strip that bolt!) then I wouldn't stress that bolt either and I would have a very mechanically inclined friend or a mechanic look at it. I hope that helps

It sounds like C to me. I will manually try to turn the crank and reattempt. I appreciate your advice.

No problem. I just hope it IS helpful. ;) If it turns out not to be, I would probably go to an actual sonata forum and copy/paste some/all the above to a thread and ask for advice. And let me know here what you find.

I have had this same issue as" tideohio" with my 2004 Sonata. The engine at first tries to engage, then just a whirring sound. Just as was described. It has happened only twice on two separate occasions after I had let the car sit outside overnight. Took it to the mechanic. When they finally got to it the next day, It started. When it did they said a lot of smoke came out of the exhaust, like it had been flooded. They could not replicate.

Any chance you smelled/checked your oil for fuel? What is it.. vapor lock / hydro lock -- if it floods and stops the pistons from turning?