1991 Honda Civic DL. Won't ignite.

Asked by Feb 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM about the 1991 Honda Civic DX

Spare car not driven.  Battery charged or jumped once in awhile if longer period between starts.  Always has started right up if battery is okay. Then allowed to warm up and or is driven around for awhile then parked again for month or two.

Yesterday had to jump and charge battery but it would not start.  Turns like a champ but not a sputter, just turns.

1,175

Is your check engine light on? When was the last tune up? Make sure all your fuses under the hood and dash are all good. You can check them with a test light or pull them all out one at a time and look at them. I would look at the distributor, distributor cap and rotor button, you could have a bad igniter/ ignition control module, which is what controls the voltage to the coil. Check the coil, the coil could be bad and not firing the spark plugs. If the coil looks burnt and the point that contacts the distributor cap then replace it. If it's been awhile since it's had a tune up I would go ahead a give it one, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, air filter, fuel filter. Next I would check to see if the fuel pump is functioning properly, put a funnel in the fuel filler, have someone turn the key while you listen to the pump. If it comes on for about ten seconds and the turns off then the pump could still be good, also check the fuel pump relay And the main relay under the dash. The main relay controls the fuel pump.

Thank you for responding. Found out what happened. I stepped on the fuel pedal (out of frustration) and flooded the thing. I know better but it took longer than normal to fire up and I got impatient. Called a tow truck to have it towed to local shop and just before he was to hook up I gave it one last try and it fired right up. Had enough time to dry plugs. Thanks again rjallred1945