93 Accord cranks but won't start unless it's sat for a while

Asked by Nov 01, 2014 at 12:33 PM about the 1993 Honda Accord LX

I have a '93 Accord with an unusual problem. First thing in the morning, the thing starts
fine. Same with when I'm leaving work at the end of the day. However, If I try to start the
car 1-3h after it's been turned off, it'll crank and turn over, but not catch.

It's usually okay while driving, but sometimes after a difficult start just seems to turn
itself off. No struggle or surging, just off. Zero rpm while in 3rd, driving down the road.
This usually only happens like 5-10min into the drive and it's sometimes difficult to start
again, usually producing a nice cloud of white/ grey smoke when it does.

When it doesn't want to catch, I can usually eventually make it. If I just hammer on the
starter intermittently, it eventually starts up really weak and muddy sounding, at one
point sounding like only a single spark plug was firing, then another, then all four. I've
also been taking out the key and putting it back in for a short crank, which seems to
work better and eventually results in a nice clean start on one of the tries (usually like
the 15th or so). First time this happened, I just took the key out, put it back in the
other way and then it started no problem, which I think is sorta weird, looking back.

At first I was worried about the fuel filter/ pump. Changed the filter and it runs smoother
now when it is running, but no change on the no-starts. In one instance, the car wasn't
starting and I wanted to see if the pump was working right then and there, so I undid
the fuel rail bolt and when I (briefly) tried to start it, fuel went everywhere like a geyser,
so I'm convinced the pump is working okay.

The battery's strong (tested) and getting a boost doesn't seem to help. Now I'm
wondering if I'm getting a spark. I did see one off a plug wire this morning, but the car
always starts in the morning. I'll update on the spark situation when I get another
difficult start experience.

In the mean time, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem or what
diagnostics I could do? The fact that it seems to start and run fine after sitting for 4+
hours or less than like 30min is more than a little confusing to me.

try the timing belt, or the ignition switch or the main relay switch, solenoids, or he ground wire could be loose

Yolanda Boyd

Have a problem with my car Cranking up without hesitation, each morning my car repeatedly turns over and over for a minute, after me repeatedly keep turning on and off the switch until it catches and it cranks right up with no problem and engine light on at times. I have 1992 Honda Accord LX .

I have a 2000 honda accord....I had trouble with it restarting after driving for awhile....it would restart but shut off...I had to let it set for 1-2 hrs then it would restart....The honda dealer said it was the canister but they were wrong....I took it to a local mechanic (hopper mechanic shop) he replace 2 of my coil packs but he said the main problem was the throttle and IAC valve he cleaned that and it's been 3 months with no issues.....

I had the same issue with a different vehicle. After replacing a few sensors and a tune up, it ended up being the temperature sensor. The air/fuel mixture was uneven due to bad temperature readings. Try junk yard. I hope it helps.

I have a1993 honda accord it was ok but suddenly isn't start, it crank but isn't start, after 30 intent it start, the light flash when isn't start. No the ingine light the parking light is the one it flash. Somebody could give an idea how to fix it. Thanks

My 1993 honda accord isn't start it crank but isn't start, some time no problem start ok at first try and some time i don't hear the starter to crank but the engine start, what could be the problen before it get worse i want to fix, any help please. Thanks.