94 honda passport turns over, idles rough, I have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. The real problem is when I shift to drive, the engine stalls, I can't move at all.

Asked by Aug 02, 2014 at 11:22 PM about the 1994 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

Just bought it today (knowing the
problems). Auto trans, 4wd, 175k. The
previous owners never got it to run.
new bat, new radiato.

36,825

Air filter. Fuel filter. Spark plugs. Ignition wires. Cap. Rotor......... in other words, when was it last tuned up?

That is a great question, that I don't have the answer to... somebody did put vasoline on all of the spark plugs recently it seems.

But could that lead to it stalling and dying when shifted into any gear other than park?

36,825

Vaseline? Sounds like an amateurish attempt to recondition the spark plug wires. Try pulling a spark plug and see what you have. Don't be surprised if the wires fall apart so have a complete tune up kit available when you try that. You can always return the unused parts.

Yes, pissed me off. I will have to wait until tomorrow to get the parts, I knew it would need to be done. But I'm still wary to think that causes the shifting problem.

36,825

How dose transmission fluid level look? Sounds like this Honda needs a lot of maintenance.

Thats why I paid scrap price for it. Tranny fluid looks fine.

36,825

Maybe it's best to get the transmission figured out first before you throw parts at it. If the transmission is junk, do you want to replace it?

Or rebuild it, yes.

36,825

Cool. Then go for a tune up. The engine could be so out of tune that it can power the transmission.