what could be the cause that make my honda passport accelerate by it's own? it is safe to drive?

40

Asked by Jun 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM about the 1997 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX SUV

A few days ago, I was driving, just 5 minutes after I left home, and suddenly my passport
star to accelarte by it's own,. Press the brake pedal, but the speed gauge still goin up, so I
keep on pressing the brake, and manage to get on the side road, pull e-brake and pedal,
shift gear to park( force to do it, because that car keep on trying to go) and turn it off, with
a spurge sound. I wait a few minutes and drive it back home, and it feels normal, but now
when I shift the gear to drive makes a rusting sound, still shift all, but with the noise only
when I shitf to drive, can you game and idea of the possible cause? I am scare to drive, or
it's safe to do it? Thank you for your help.

you could post this, was looking for a recall on this, but have not found it, you could add to the knowledge base with this problem~ http://www.carproblemzoo.com/honda/passport/accelerator-stuck- problems.php

Go to the dealer and sit on someone's desk...speak of a lawsuit as this could be a killer...and you cannot put a price on human life~

hopefully it's just a floormat out of place.

40

I wish for that too judge_ Roy, but unfortunately this is not the case, there's was nothing, no mat.... and about going to the dealer, I just not bought it from them, it was a private party, but my concern is about this problem, because I bought this car a year ago, and everything is been working fine, but I definetly taking in to a mechanic shop, but first I want to have and idea of what's goin on, I am a woman, and know much about mechanic, so thank you very much

if you want to just fix it get a new TPS~ shop for you...hold on~

Best Answer Mark helpful

this is like two bolts and a minute and a half...don't LET them charge you for more shop time then that 1 1/2 minutes, cause that's how long it will take to fix~

Wish I was there to fix it for you this job is GRAAAAVY~ a tool, and a few minutes...just has a screwey part that resolves an electrical signal...in theory if an optical device can NEVER fail, like quite sure BMW and Audi might use, but yours is a surface that can issue errant signals (cheepy-high production volume) and the cause of that failure....man they sure make light of our health and well being...don't they?

bet you could run over to the KRAGEN or NAPA and pick one up and the guy would put it in for you~

40

Thank you judge_Roy, do u have any idea on how much will this repair cost? An approximate? Because some of my friend toll me to spray the accelarator gas line with wd40. And also read something about it, but I am afraid that this could be a temporary fix, I am wrong? Thank you again your answer it's been helpful.

bet you ALL replacement position resolvers are using strictly optical devices (which actually uses a curtain with slits describing the position)~

40

Ohh really? But I don't wanna drive it like this ( I am really scare)Napa uhmmm, I appreciated your help.

you saw the snap of Google search Honda Passport 1997 TPS...punch shopping and Voila~ the thing I took a snap of and posted....yes lemme look real quick $21.87 and up PLUS shipping (depends on whom you buy from sometimes Amazon has supersaver shipping or FREE depends on vendor) ...yes, not much money and you can have the counter guy put it in, is so simple~

like not much money to save your noggen~

40

Can you explain me with more details in how to fix it, maybe my friend could help me fix it, he is not a mechanic but, knows a lot . Thank you one more time judge_roy

get NAPA to deliver it to you...they will for commercial garages, find one nearby if necessary~, but the thing could be delivered to you....buy one on ebay....ta da...no risk~

see if I can find you a utube~

40

I found the part already it's from O'realy's an it's about 21.00 thank u so much, for your help, judge_Roy.

here, says it's a three prong connector and I see a mounting hole...NO CHISEL...what a doufus~

40

Thank you very much, one more question, about the sound of the shifting gear when I put it on drive, its there a possibility that my transmission could be damage because of the sudden force to stop, or my brakes, looks like I rather need to get a new car, (fuuunny)

2001