Friggin' Airbag system SRS light is on!!

375

Asked by Feb 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM about the 2002 Honda Civic EX

I did the clear the SRS light trick but it came back a day later. Could it be the battery? This car is
F'd!! There is currently a recall on the airbag system so I thought that was the answer but the
dealer said it had nothing to do with it and $89 to just diagnose. I'm afraid it won't pass inspection
this month.

695

9 times out of 10 it is the drivers side front seat beat buckle(female end) that causes the SRS light to come on. Replace it and you should be good.

Best Answer
4,375

i don't understand how the seat belt buckle can set off the air bag light

1,105

there is a sensor in the buckle that will be activated when the buckle is plugged in. have you changed your steering wheel? if so some times you will have to find the resistance of your airbag and go on ebay and get a resistor that has the same ohmic resistance to just fool your ecu into thinking there is an airbag there. but yeah replace the sensor first and if for whatever reason dosent work then plug a code reader in and then google the code see what it says there cause who knows could be something completely different.

375

It's been a while but yes the SRS light issue was caused by the driver's side seat belt receptacle micro-switch. To fix it, I first removed the safety pins located in the center of the two torx head screws that hold the two halves of the female belt receptacle together. Then, cut the rubber grommet off with a blade that surrounds the black micro-switch and sprayed a bunch of silicone spray (liquid wrench I think) and worked the switch in and out a bunch of times. Replaced the two halves and proceeded to clear the SRS light using the paper clip trick (look it up on youtube). The SRS light never returned back on, awesome!!