Monthly payments w/o down payment

Asked by Jul 17, 2016 at 12:22 AM about the 2003 Honda Civic DX

I just have a quick question about my
monthly payments. If I was to get a car and
not make a down payment what would my
monthly payments be?

This would depend on price of car,and your credit score.

Depends on the cost of the vehicle. Most States require you to pay sales tax in cash. So you can't truly have a zero cash down transaction anyhow. HTH. -Jim

Actually you can have a zero down car if your credit is very good (sales tax will be added to the note), but if you don't have money for a down payment you probably can't afford the vehicle. Save up some money first.

There are free auto loan calculators all over the internet, just plug in the numbers. That said however, I would stay away from the deal you describe. If a dealer sets you up like this you may well be paying more than the vehicle is worth and be upside down on value to begin with. Do your research on the value of the vehicle you are looking for, find one at a respectable dealer within that price range and save some money to put down on it. The more knowledge you go in with the better deal you will get.

Ok so what if I put some money down (10%) then am I good?

Putting money down is better than not. Keep in mind, don't empty your bank account as an emergency could require some extra cash. Also don't buy more car than you can afford. 36 months is the longest I would finance a vehicle.

Obviously Anthony, the more you put down, the less you Have to pay interest on. But remember it is a lot about the value of the vehicle. Do your research and get the best deal possible on that car. Dealers can finance any amount, even if the car is overpriced. I'm with Bob on the 36 months. Its all about what you know going in. Know what the car should be worth, know what you can afford to pay. Best deal ever is one where there is no payments. If you can, save until you can buy a car for cash.

Buying a car with zero interest rate, then I would extend the payments as the money costs you nothing extra.

Thank you everyone for their input.... really helps me as this is my first purchase

Final is easy to let you heart get in the way when buying a car. Use your brain and not your heart and stay within your budget. Don't forget the costs of insurance and property taxes. Also, don't believe much that a salesman tells you as they usually lie when their lips move.

Best Answer Mark helpful