I am hearing a clunking noise when shifing fro p to r and n to d

Asked by Dec 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM about the 2016 Ford Mustang V6

When I shift from park to reverse and neutral to drive, I am getting a clucking noise. This started at approximately 1300 miles. Ford says it is a character of the Mustang. I disagree with Ford and think there is a problem with my Mustang.

23,845

Backlash in the driveline, but not necessarily from the axles. The Mustang service manual has a section on "Clunk Diagnosis." You should look up your model year's service manual and see what it says (sorry I don't have one). Honestly I think it's an engineering design problem versus actual wear or a service problem. The ring gear in the axles are supposed to have a super tight level of tolerance, but in reality they don't and you get excessive play, translating into a clunk when shifting from drive to reverse and vice-versa. Some of the check items listed in the "Clunk Diagnosis" are not very likely with such a low mileage car, items like motor mounts, tranny mounts, u-joints, slip yoke, clutch pack, etc. I'm more inclined to look at the differential - pinion shaft, or loose fit of axle shafts to side gear splines. My suggestion to you is have someone shift the car while you lay beside the car and listen to where the clunk is coming from. My guess would be the rear end/diff - unless you've been beating on the clutch pack lol.

56,725

A minor clunk is fairly normal. If it is major you may have a problem. Take it to another dealer and get their take on it and document all your complaints and visits to Ford in case you have to make a claim on the warranty. Some service managers will be glad to talk to you on the phone and you may get some good information that way.

145

Check for play in the U-joints on the driveshaft. If you call pull up and down on the driveshaft, you may have excessive play in theu joints (and or pinion).

145

Also, sounds like this is happening when you are not moving the vehicle, which would eliminate your traction-lock unit clutch pack for obvious reason.

185

I hate to mention the dreaded t word but I would have the transmission flushed and serviced and hopefully that will be the end of it.

10

This guy has the sound youre looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSucf3OBdwk

Samuel Yes this is the same noise my Mustang also making, i gave it for servicing and they said they changed the some part but after that its coming again and they said we need to keep the car and have figure out. Not happy with Ford

10

Yeah, they replaced something on mine too. Still makes noise, possibly going to lemon law the car.

Having the same problem with mine, ford tried to tell me it was a lubrication issue. I call bs!! I haven't had the car a year and only around 10,000 miles. Also the engine dies while driving down the highway, and they just replaced the throttle body. Not happy with this car at all. This is the 4th time it's been in the shop since I've had it.

20

I have the same issue with my 2017 Mustang GT, just a couple of weeks old. It mainly happens when engaging Reverse from Drive or Park. It is Not very loud but can definitely hear it with the door open. Took it t 2 dealers, the Supervisors, tranny specialist checked it and said it was absolutely normal and that it is just the engagement in the opposite direction and when the slack is taken up, the noise is from that engagement. Is it really normal??