Seat height, 2016 MX5

40

Asked by Jan 25, 2016 at 08:33 PM about the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Convertible

Just took delivery of my 2016 MX5 and love the car except for the low
seating position. Although I'm 5'10'' in height, I still feel as if I'm having to
look up and over the fenders. I'll be checking with the dealer about raising
the seat rails, but suspect they'll be unwilling to make any such
modifications because of warranty/liability issues. Assuming that I find an
independent shop to do this for me, do you see where there would be any
complications? I've already tested a higher position with a cushion and still
have head clearance with the top up. To me, the view out over the hood and
fenders is much better that way. Oh, and because the seats are heated, I
can't use a cushion. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

60,985

Your drivers seat does not have height adjustment?

40

It has a knob that allows you to make a very tiny up/down adjustment to the front edge of the seat, but it does nothing to raise your butt up as a cushion does. All it does is add or reduce the amount of contact there is with the under part of your leg. The small adjustment you can make to the front edge does so little that I'm surprised Mazda bothered to include it.

60,985

Spacers are probably your only option. Like you said the dealer probably won't be receptive to the idea but what do you have to lose?

238,005

Where is your line of sight when you are in the seat? Your eyes should be about 1/3rd down from the top of the windshield. You bought a sports car and not an SUV, you will sit lower.

Best Answer
40

Thank you both for the input. Naturally, I will follow through on what Full of Regrets says just to see what the dealer tells me. And Tom, I think you are absolutely right about getting used to the lower seating position. Yeah, as you say, I actually am looking out from about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the windshield. Actually, I like sitting low and it may really be getting used to the way the fenders protrude up. My last three vehicles have been small pickup trucks and I'm keeping the last of those. Takes some time to readjust I suppose. When I was much younger, I owned MG's, a '69 Porsche 912 and then a VW/Porsche 914 and with all of those, it seemed like you were looking out well above the hood and fender line. I recall that even when I'd occasionally ride in someone's sporty American car, that it always seemed as though I was sitting down in a pit... a bit like the feeling in the Miata. I probably just need to get used to seeing the road more from that perspective. Thanks again to you both.