Any ideas what may cause left turn signal/brake filament to not light?

Asked by Nov 27, 2015 at 09:59 PM about the 1988 Dodge Dakota STD Standard Cab LB

Left turn signal/brake light does not light.  Replaced bulb, cleaned socked in case the old grease was acting like an insulator, no change.  Following the harness I find a two wire plug, white/purple and brown/red wires hanging unplugged under the dash.  Cannot find where it could plug in but don't have schematic and don't know if it is related to the inop light.

107,935

Get a meter and go from power on the light bulb socket to a ground on the body and see if you 12 volts, if ao you have a ground problem...

OK, I'll do that. I checked resistance from socket shell to frame, it is about half an ohm more than the meter's internal resistance. Had not thought of checking the power... Thanks

4,005

Did you check all your fuses?

No. Never thought of that since the right lamp illuminates when brake pedal pressed. I had thought the brake circuit was one wire but thinking about it now, since the same filament lights for brakes and for turn signal, there must be separate wires for each side from way up front somewhere. Anyone have a lead on the wiring schematic for the 1988 Dakota?

107,935

You had ohms but you need to test it with power on...