My car Geo prism not running over 65 mph, what is your opinion ?

5

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 06:08 AM about the 1993 Geo Prizm 4 Dr LSi Sedan

It is 1993 , it has only 40000 miles on it.

270

check transmission fluid

41,945

The possibility exists that the exhaust or exhaust catalyst is plugged or restricted. Are the any check engine lights lit?.

41,945

A mechanic's shop could check it. In the old days (before oxygen sensors) we would drop the exhaust down at the exhaust manifold and drive it to see if it helped, but with an oxygen sensor I would no try that. Something else that could cause this is a slipped timing belt or a clogged fuel filter. Has the fuel filter recently been replaced?

41,945

Check the engine's vacuum with a vacuum gauge. Run the engine at 2 ,000 to 3,000 rpm. If vacuum drops and is unusually low maybe 12" or less the exhaust is restricted or plugged.