2003 Ford Taurus SE Odometer stopped working

Asked by Jan 23, 2015 at 04:51 PM about the 2003 Ford Taurus SE

My wife has a 2003 Taurus SE which she drives very little. I just noticed a couple of
days ago that the trip-meter & odometer is not working. The speedometer itself
however works fine. And also, even though the panel lights seem to be working, the
lights that show the auto shift position (P, N, D, etc) do not work either. Although the
odometer only shows 12,755, I doubt the true mileage is much more because I have
records that show the last oil change & it was apparently working then because the
mileage the shop recorded was only about 800 miles less than now. The only thing
that has been recently done is we had the battery replaced along with replacing the
positive cable end just about 3 weeks ago.  I called a local repair shop & they told me
(over the phone) that it was likely the cluster that would have to be replaced, which
they said could be fairly high $, but I'd need to bring it in to get a true estimate.
Anyone have any other ideas? If it is the cluster, I wouldn't want to try doing it myself
because when it comes to cars, I'm not very mechanical. Could it possibly be
something as simple as a fuse? And/or could it have anything to do with what the auto
shop did when they replaced the battery & cut & replaced the battery cable end? Any
advice would be appreciated.

1,565

None of that would cause those symptoms

Well ok, any ideas as to what else might?

65,755

Check your fuse,s,the work that was done may have blowed them,or could have shorted the cluster when they done it,if it worked before the work.

Ok, maybe a stupid question, but if the cluster was shorted, where would the fuse or fuses for that be located?

65,755

Under dash driver,s side,or under hood,in fuse box.

I went to a fairly well known auto repair shop this morning & when they briefly looked at my car, I was told in no uncertain terms that fuses have nothing to do with an odometer & the odometer is strictly mechanical. He called around, checked & found that the instrument cluster cannot be replaced because this cluster is no longer made. The only fix would be to pull it out & repair it. Whether I do that or they do that, the solution is still the same. If they do it, the range is between $275 - $450 depending upon how much repair is needed.